Teachers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Nov 20, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Agreed. The only thing worse than Small Pox would be a plague of band directors! Take me now... Lordie, Lordie, take me now!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is divine justice when a bad band director is in front of their own band. All of the bells are pointed at the enema, umm, enemy.:evil:

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ummm Ithaca College would be a better choice -- I believe they still have an excellent music program there (although Chuck Mangione - a great fluglehornist didn't graduate -- I understand he was expelled many years ago) Nonetheless if you are in the Ithaca, NY area --- I also believe a member here (veery715) lives in Ithaca. Who knows maybe he can help you find the right teacher. You should try to PM him.

http://www.ithacaconcertband.org/ICBmain.html

might want to contact the community band also --- you have lots of resources in your area.

hope that helps.
    Ken

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Mangione ended up going to Eastman in the end. Good school still!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yeah I was at a concert (circa 1989) of Chucks --- and I will say he seemed to be the king of endurance on Flugle -- playing a lot of songs -- pretty much non-stop (high and low) at about 10-15 minutes for the average song --- and pretty much a 2 hr+ show with little resting in between songs ---- pretty impressive.

whatever school Chuck went to or graduated from -- the end result is what most people desire -- Mangione has his own sound, his own style, and loves what he's doing --- and that is rather --- PRICELESS.

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, I've been listening to Chuck Mangione since before I played trumpet...since I played flute! Always looked up to that sound of his. Great player.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While there are exceptions, and I certainly had one, IMO most of the public school band directors I've come to know would be like "pounding my head a against a brick wall", and the same I must say also includes a few tutors I've known. OK, so I've also been tutoring and limiting myself to brass instrumentation, but I would not say I am qualified to tutor any beyond the high school level, or to be able to break any bad habits instilled otherwise or would want to take on an adult comeback trumpeter who last played in high school. Too, I would not take on a student who is pushed to do so by their parent(s). The worst I encountered was a grad student in college who had more interest in obtaining his own advanced degree than he had with those he was teaching, and yet I had to pay him the same as I would for a regular professor. Yeah, while I passed, I didn't get great grades from him either, nor did any others in that class. Later, I was told he was POd because he had to take an additional year to achieve his advanced degree. He also was another who was POd, because I didn't then play a professional instrument.

Summary: If there is a personality conflict with a teacher / tutor IMO one would be much better off choosing another, even if it meant changing schools.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If a student doesn't practice, teachers are useless. I've had a couple great teachers give me private instruction on how to learn/play the trumpet, but have learned a lot from colleagues and conductors. A private instructor can be a huge help in both the areas of mechanics of playing and making music.

I would give 45 minute lessons that would stretch to an hour (or beyond) to students that worked hard. Those that didn't practice got a half hour dose of practicing forked fingering. (The sequence of 2nd valve switching to 1st and 3rd will get the right arm screaming in short order.)

If a disciple of the trumpet, when seeking a teacher seek out Mr. T rather than Mr. Rogers.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What would you think of a violinist composing music and directing a concert band? Yep, that was John Philip Sousa. Doesn't take much to imagine, those who were chosen to play in his bands were among the best available. That's what I thought of my public school instructor / high school band director / and my private tutor who had played with Sousa's second band and went on to play with Ringling Brothers when Sousa became ill and subsequently died. Before teaching me he obtained a Doctorate in Music and how our HS band formed and then grew during WWII remains still beyond my comprehension, but many a night and weekend we could find him in the band room working on music or giving private lessons. Yes, during WWII music was in such short supply that we played with a lot of hand transcribed music either he did or we did ourselves, transposing whenever necessary for the different instruments. Certainly a lot of it was Sousa music, but too a lot of it was classic where the originals he borrowed from universities, among them being the works of Stephen Collins Foster from The Stephen Foster Memorial on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh ... and I still say, so what if such was piano music for C instrumentation.

10. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

Your band director is not your teacher. If you want to learn something get a teacher.