Teaching a brass clinic in another country

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jfrancis, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    In two and a half weeks, I will be getting to do a brass clinic in the country of El Salvador. There will be playing opportunities, and a large concert, but my big concern is what to take to minimize my packing, but to maximize my trip. Here are my thoughts, outside of personal stuff (trumpet things only):
    Bb Trumpet
    Bach hard case
    Mouthpiece brushes (teaching on hygiene)
    Mouthpiece puller
    Mouthpiece shank truer
    Mouthpieces
    Oil
    Harmon Mute
    Straight mute
    Laptop loaded with method material for daily practice.

Understand, they have all of my clinic materials digitally there and are printing them. Outside of the mouthpiece brushes, laptop and practice mute – I believe everything else can fit in my trumpet case. I will pack the truer in checked baggage as it could be misconstrued as a weapon.
    OK, what am I missing? (I will post your results on my website - Glory Horn | John Francis trumpet playing blog)

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi John, You asked:
    "OK, what am I missing?"
    ----
    Whew! You've sure thought this out, good job! The only thing I might add are:
    *grease for slides
    *A print out (download) of basic methodologies for trumpet which can be found on this site for free. They are:
    1.The Basics Sheet
    2.Circle of Breath
    3.Ray of Power

Hope this helps and good luck with your clinic
    Dr.Mark

3. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Thanks Dr. Mark - the language barrier is the only issue on print materials. I have prepared materials that have already been sent digitally that I had translated. I may use these myself in the teaching part. Because of language, I figure that it is far better that I have them play (and me play) more than speaking.

Thanks again

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Extra mouthpieces are a great idea. During my time in South America, I saw kids with some horrible mpcs and gave away a few extras I had.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Charcoal lighter fluid makes for an inexpensive valve oil, lanolin for slide grease. Corks, felts, springs and possibly an alignment mirror.

Sounds like a neat experience!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Underwear... Don't forget underwear.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously: No cup mute? Big band music is chock full of cup mute parts (and hats, but a toilet plunger should suffice.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Ever thought about something as basic as pencil and writing paper? Not so easy to come by, in decent quality, in some of these places. And of course, insect bite protection... no use teaching a master class if you're only master of your mosquito bites and can't play due to swelling...

9. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Great...I've also used lamp oil or white kerosene for valve oil