Teaching brand new trumpet beginners. Anything to tell them/avoid telling them?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BitLion, Nov 19, 2013.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    When you start something new consider this ....

Tell them what you want,
    Explain WHY they should need it,
    Explain and show them the process slowly,
    Ask them to do it with you,
    Get them to try it alone,
    Ask them to explain to you how they are doing it,
    Get them to try it again - and then you too join in.

One final thought - apart from all the beaut posts above ...
    To Teach is to Learn - have fun.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    One thing to remember about youngsters is left to their own devices their attention will wander and they will discover all sorts of ways to get into mischief. Keep them all engaged in whatever is going on. If a student needs so special help, don't forget about the others or the next thing you know they'll be sticking mouthpieces up their noses and shooting spitwads through their leadpipes (or something like that). Anyway, include all of them in playing the exercise, replicating the technique, etc. Give the one(s) who need it the extra help they need, and don't let the mischievousness of the others create problems in the class.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I tell beginners to avoid tutors that have to ask for the basics. I consider the first six months as the most critical. Habits are what quality is about and not "getting it" is one way to really screw a beginner.

In my opinion, a tutor should be an apprentice of a great teacher. That way the beginner gets a solid, quality beginnig that is monitored by someone who knows better.