Teaching Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ENTrumpet, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ENTrumpet

ENTrumpet New Friend

Feb 18, 2012
    Cullman, AL
    I am planning on teaching private lessons this summer. I never had lessons until I was in college so I really don't know where to start. Most of my students (so far) will be entering 8th or 9th grade the next school year. What should I start them on, and how much should I give them to work on before the summer is over? Also, how early is too early to start on the Arban's characteristic studies?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I started with a pre-owned copy of Arban's when I was in 7th grade. I wore out my original copy in college and then in 2006 bought my current platinum copy. Do you have a teacher's certificate and a business license in the jurisdiction you live in ?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I would suggest starting with the basics/ foundation and move up, personally.

This is what I think of:
    1) Breathing
    2) Sound (Long tones, some buzzing)
    3) Lip Slurs
    4) Tonguing
    5) Finger Studies
    6) Range (should result from 1-3 mostly)

That's how I taught myself, and gave some minor lessons while still in high school. This is just a suggestion, not THE way to do it. Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I don't know that either are required for someone to be a music tutor.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, I can't speak for everywhere, or even here about the certificate, as I know many tutors operate under the music store or such, that does require a business license and takes a divvy of the tutor's income. Still a teacher's certificate is an operational advantage in marketing. As I am the owner of the business, I am required to have a business license here in this town in NC and I do have a teacher's certificate here, VA & MD. Presently, I'm simultaneously tutoring 4 beginning students on trumpet in donated free space. Had I not such credentials, I don't believe such would have been possible. In school they've been on Book 1 since August and will continue with such until the end of the school year. These 4 students of mine have finished that book, and have been working with Book 2 since they resumed after Christmas.

6. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I would not worry about either. You do not need a teaching cert to teach trumpet, and I would not worry about a business license. If your wanted to claim the lesson money as income, there is a place on both federal and state tax forms for additional income.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you are independently tutoring, there could be some heavy expenses that if one does the book keeping are income tax deductions. Instructional materiels and travel expenses are NOT free. I'm not tutoring in my home, and I'm not tutoring in the student's home, thus if I hadn't been offered free space, I'd have the additional expense of commercial space rent, utilities, and insurance. This simply wouldn't be viable in this impoverished rural area of NC. Even so, at $50.00 a week, with each of the 4 families paying me just $12.50 / hr., I sure am not making any profit ... but 4 children are learning trumpet and music which is the beneficial gain to them and the community. Yes, I also perceive such as an activity that is an alternative to juvenile delinquincy. I've 2 mothers and 2 fathers that transport their child to and from these sessions and that is good also.

8. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    Same here, I don't think either are required in most areas.

Brad361

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Teach away. Can't imagine why you would need a license unless you are being paid by a public school - and in our state we would also want you fingerprinted with a background check. 30 years ago I taught HS students privately in the summer. No problem. Where are you planning to offer the lessons? A business or home is not a problem. If at a school then it might be more complicated.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I started in County provided space, in an after school program, where they could catch a late school bus home, but a County change in school usage made this a transportation problem for the students. Now the space I use is donated by a non-profit organization from 7 to 8 PM once weekly. Still, their parent(s) now transport 3 of the 4 over 10 miles one way. Certainly, I wouldn't expect a child to walk this distance, especially in the dark. No problem for me with my fingerprints or background check with my LEO background. Still, I consider my credentials and license a marketing advantage. However, the county again has a plan to merge two high schools in 2012-2013 and convert one of these high schools to a middle school, that may have these students lose so much after school academic study time that they cannot continue. One parent has already expressed concern that the county will drop instrumental music and band in this economy, thus removing the purpose to tutor their child.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012