Teaching Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ENTrumpet, Feb 19, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What was that adage about the blind leading the deaf?

I would suggest working with a real teacher until you "get the hang of it". A great deal of the posts here are from players ruined by neglect (their own misinformation or the same bad stuff that they paid for).

Granted, kids can move forward with motivation alone. I certainly would not send one of my kids to a teacher trying to learn to teach by DIY. I would at least want some professional backup. There is nothing more important than solid basics. That has the biggest chance of success when the teacher also has solid basics. If you don't even know how the body and breathing work together, how can you keep from breaking the student?

2. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    +1 with Rowuk. From your original post I would question your ability to teach. Please do not take this as a personal attack. I am saying nothing about you as a wonderful person and a music enthusiast.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Define "real teachers"? If we speak of such as "teach" in the U.S. public schools, for the most part I wouldn't call them much more than proctors viz being those that assure that we read the texts and demonstrate what is therein, such texts as proscribed by an elected Board of Education said Board having no criteria in an education field. I spent two years doing that at less pay than a recruit in the county police academy earned.

As a disclaimer, I'll allow that there are exceptions.

Here, I'm seeing nearly 1/4th of the county school teachers being new college graduates enrolled in the Teachers for America program as will set aside their college student loans by teaching in areas like here for 3 years then they are gone to "greener pastures" very often in non-education fields, and then the cycle starts over.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama

ROWUKS idea of working with a real teacher is a good idea. However, I assumed the OP meant teaching trumpet. A certified, degrees instructor (band director) may not have the skills needed for helping moderate to advanced students, especially if their own primary instrument was a woodwind etc. That is where you probably want a teacher that plays trumpet. The comment about misinformation is also accurate. Wouldn't it be great if all teachers really knew how to teach?

Sorry to hear the Teach for America isn't working too well. Retaining good teachers is a problem.

5. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I do not think ENTrumpet was asking to be vetted as a teacher, or was asking if anyone thought he should. He was asking where he should start. While I think it would be great if he could shadow another instructor, if that is not possible, use the Arban's book and start at the beginning. Buzzing, Long tones scales, practicing the best technique in breathing / posture. Once you start seeing the technique form, make it fun with some of the duets in the book. Ask them to bring in some of the music they are playing in band and work with them on it. Guys, as far as music education is concerned in the US, Rome is burning. Anyone willing to help kids stay interested and become better musicians should be greatly encouraged. Even if you assume their skill with their instrument or teaching is below what you personally feel you could do. On that note, why not assume ENTrumpet will be an amazing teacher and find a calling he did not know existed for himself?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Let me clarify, my State Certification to teach, really does NOT have any relationship to instrumental music nor do I know of any state in which such specialties are a criteria. My college diploma reads only that the degree conferred is as a Bachelor in Education. I never prior taught instrumental music or specifically trumpet. When I taught in a public school it was 7th and 8th grades subjects of mathematics and earth sciences as were the position I applied for, since they were my majors in college and instrumental music was just a minor. Was I then qualified to be a band director? According to the State and county criteria, the answer is yes. Indeed I've baton(s) and have directed a band and an orchestra successfully. Could I presently teach piano or drums? No! Woodwinds, I'd get by ( I augmented other teaching of my daughter on these ). Trumpet / cornet, I had only one college course on such, taught (???) me by a graduate student in which I received only a grade of C. Need I say we had a personality conflict! Never heard him demonstrate on one, and I believe I performed as well, if not better, than others that received higher grades and I was then playing a rented Getzen. Yes, I rely mostly on what I was taught on trumpet by my public school instructor / high school band director / private tutor who had a Doctorate in instrumental music and had previosly performed on cornet with Sousa and Ringling Bros. With parents who both had education degrees, I didn't have a chance to escape practice and studies. No, I don't think you'll find any public school (excluding state colleges) in the U.S. teaching music theory or composition, or even scales & arpeggios and a whole lot more. Yes, these are viable skills of the craft, but at what level of instruction are they a practical application to learning? Surely, not at the level of a beginner, and doubtful in undergraduate college levels.
    Can one learn to read and perform most music without them? Certainly, many do! The key to teaching is to sustain interest and development ... not to overwhelm.

7. ENTrumpet

ENTrumpet New Friend

Feb 18, 2012
    Cullman, AL
    I appreciate all of the tips I've seen here.

To clarify:

- I plan to teach from my own home, which is off the road a little bit in a not-so-populated area.
    - I'm only teaching trumpet players and not other instrumentalists.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Best of luck! If you plan to tutor trumpet to public school aged children, may I suggest you do your demonstration on a student quality instrument near like what they have rather than your Xeno. Don't expect their sound to equal yours otherwise.

Too, I am using the same beginner book series they use in their school instrumental music program augmented by short excerpts or simplified arrangements of music with familiararity to them.

Outside this small town where I am that has a population in 3 figures, it may range as much as a mile or more between homes and the house itself as much as 1/2 mile off the highway. Now and then there are enclaves of densely situated mobile homes as are far from ideal for home practice. Such scenario seems like it may not be all that different where you are.