Teaching my daughter......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Mar 3, 2012.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I started teaching my daughter(11) trumpet this week. I want to sort of keep a journal (so to speak) of her progression as a student, and my progression as a teacher. Being as this is my first attempt, I would appreciate you guys looking in every so often and giving me guidance. I've got her playing a 10-1/2C and a 7C for a week or so and then letting her pick the most comfortable one. The horn is an Olds Special so hopefully, she'll get a lot of years with it. It's day three now and she's using low C as her base note and working from there. We will work up to the A (whole, not chromatic yet), and then work down from C to the G (whole, not chromatic). I'm stressing tone over range, pronouncing "TU", keeping her corners tight, relaxing from shoulders down, using full breath support, and hearing the note before she plays it. I also need to teach her how to read music. She plans on being in the band next school year.
    Thanks in advance for any pointers and tips!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    NotCody likes this.
  2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Dont forget the fun. And plenty of it. Best wishes.

3. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Awesome! Everything sounds pretty good from what I have read. I don't know about the "tight corners". Tu is good syllable I prefer Ta helps keep the sound to the front. But to each is own. As for the corners I wouldnt even mention it to her. Might to more harm than good. As far as where the mouthpiece goes. I wouldn't mention that either. It goes where it goes. Also, try starting out on the leadpipe and play a good concert e-flat for a couple of minutes. Helps get the airflowing and sets up the embouchure really nice. Im not much of a mouthpiece buzzing fan on beginners. I have found that it creates tension and the corners are overly "tight". Lead pipe takes away the tension which is good especially for the beginner. Also easier to get the hang of just blowing to produce sound. Sound comes from the air not from the face. Best of Luck.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    How are you achieving this if she is a newbie - do you play the note first and get her to match it ?

Remember, while YOU are mapping your progress as a teacher, you need to ensure that it remains fun for both of you - but focus on one learner at a time. Be an observer of your own progress (let common sense be your guide when teaching) - but be active in focussing on her music. When it is all said and done the focus MUST be on the student's learning - follow that credo and "you can't go wrong". (Go easy lads - you know what I mean.)

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I think Ted hit the nail on the head. I've taught a bunch of students over the years, but didn't care for them like my own critters. Teaching them, transmitting my passion, would be an insult to the spawn of my loins; other folks kids, no problem.

Feel free to get some good advice here at TM, but most of us aren't smart enough to teach our own kids. Heck, we aren't even smart enough to teach each other!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    It's been like 37 years ago, so my recall might be a bit fuzzy -- but as I remember it -- the first and most important accomplishement as a trumpet player was NOT just hitting the notes --- BUT IN ACTUALLY playing a song. I think it was "mary had a little lamb" , or "twinkle, twinkle little star" --- but, as a student, I don't recall being worried about my tone, or the corners of my mouth --- but in just reproducing a note, and being able to put the notes together to form a song, any song, as long as I could play it!!

also -- nemonics on learning the notes ---- for treble clef --- E very G ood B oy D oes F ine, for the lines, and FACE for the spaces ....................that was always the way I learned where the notes went.....

and as a father ---- God Bless your heart for teaching your daughter -- a priceless experience I am sure ---- but also remember the best lesson for a teacher/parent ------take a deep breath, count to 10 ----- relax, and be PATIENT!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Shooter, please take this as it is intended. If you want your daughter to get her a good start on the horn get her a qualified teacher. example, she won't be able to tell any difference between mpcs after a week. she won't after several months. her embouchure is too undeveloped. Plus there is an awful lot more to teaching a beginner than you are aware of. Put her on the 7C.

If you really want to help you can play with her as she practices her lessons from her teacher. This would be a huge benefit to her. Teaching a musical instrument is not a hobby, please leave to the professional, esp. those with a formal education.

8. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Great thought Bob. I would love nothing more than to find a bona fide teacher to hook her up with. Unfortunately, I live in an area where trumpet teachers, trumpet players, heck, even trumpets are non-existent. I've got a few books, a great PM from a fellow TMer, and a buttload of determination. Thank you for the great recommendation though!

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It is diffficult to teach your on kids; although not impossible. A prime example was Conrad Gozzo's father taught him, beginning at 4 years of age, and by 15 years of age he was a pro!

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Mendez's father did pretty well with him, too.
    So did Rene' Voisin with Roger. I am not aware if Roger taught his son, Peter.
    RT.