Teaching my daughter......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Will this one do in a pinch?

METRONOME ONLINE - free!

Also, good luck to you and daughter. "I love you" happens in so many ways. I think it's great that you're teaching her. Think of what a wonderful problem it will be when her zeal and assiduousness makes it indispensable for you to find her another. Until then, do good, Dad.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Ken, dont hear that too often do you? ROFL

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    king trumpet, while I understand your point, raising a child and teaching a specific discipline are two very different endeavors. besides parents are not so much teachers as a support system and role models for the child. A child learns to walk and talk without specfic "lessons". This is because we are hardwired to do this. We are not hardwired to learn to play a musicial instrument. Plus Mendez's fater taught him music not the trumpet specifically. Read Mendez's biography.

4. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Richard Oliver, the online metronome is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Bob --- and YET, tens of millions of parents who homeschool their kids in America -- would most likely disagree with you ((HSLDA | Home School Heartbeat)) --- so I don't think this should be a point of contention with anyone ---- some parents will make awesome teachers, their kids will be wonderful students ----- and others, maybe are not able to develop the patience that it requires to teach their children. In the end the PARENT should have, and so far in America, DOES have the right to DECIDE that!!!!!!!!! Neither you or I should find that point arguable!!!! should we????

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Glad you like it. I am tending to use it more than my Korg TM-40. Single guy has kitchen set up like a trumpet studio sort of: big table and music stand to the side, and computer before. I don't have speakers for the 'puter, so I use headphones. I can crank up the volume on that little online gizmo and hear it better than the Korg.

Glad you like it.

Oh, here's another gadget that might come in handy. Free of course: Online Tuning Fork

Makes for nice buzzing. Mash on the Bb, and arpeggio away. Lastly, and I'll shut up: you can play 4th's/5th's with this thing and hear/feel easily when you're in tune or dredging up those little waves of sonic "no-no."

7. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Too Cool! Thanks again! Today was session 5 and I gave her a "challenge". After playing from C down to G and up, then C up to C in the staff ( she could only get up to A ) a few times, I asked if she thought she could figure out the "Hannah Montana" theme. She gave me a big smile and about 20 min. later, she had it!! (just the chorus). I'm having a hard time getting her to sit up straight. She gets it honest. I need to be a good example. It's hard getting her to play out. I'm telling her to play it like she would sing it. Her tonguing is getting better, and her tone is so-so.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh? Really?

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Put her on a stool with no back rest - or have her stand. Remind her the air (music) must come out from within and straight pipes (backs) are more efficient (and less tiring). Ask her to try playing slouched and then slowly straighten - see if she hears to tone change. Well done Shooter, she'll bless you later - I only wish I'd had a similar opportunity. Why not let her read our posts - just a thought?

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ok, maybe I made a typing error -- but the number depending on which census data you use is at the least 1.5 million -- and the total number of children of school age is 50 million --- give or take a couple of kids from Iowa, BUT THE POINT is, at least here in America ---- 3 million (or so) parents of school age children prefer to leave teaching the children to themselves, instead of the professionals at their local public school (who are teachers, by the way, who are considered professionals) ----- and I don't think anybody here (but me) wants to go to the success of the home schoolers on standardized tests, versus the median population of public school students and their average scores-------------and then we can get into the other arguments of "teachers who fail standardized tests, or other teacher unions who oppose "testing of teachers to see if they are qualified on to teach the material" -----YES, this is a hotly debated issue --------------------- and then we can go to the kids in public schools that CAN'T add numbers or do basic arithmetic without the aid of a cell phone, or computer --------------OK, I had better stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -----especially before we get to the public schools that can turn out graduates that can't read and......................... ok, I stopped