Teaching requires BUSINESS licenses?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. Alex Yates

    Alex Yates Forte User

    Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I received this from the local union this morning. As if our pockets aren't shallow enough. One license, I can see, but not what is the case below. I live and do most of my teaching in Cobb County. I am sure this is on the minds of lawmakers in other states too, so watch out.

    Dear Fellow Musicians,

    I'm writing to each of the musicians I know to ask that you consider being involved in helping to amend a State of Georgia law. Currently, music teachers are required to have a business license (at a cost of $85 per license in Cobb County) for each location in which they teach. If you were to teach private lessons at home, at Music & Arts, at a county school conservatory of music, at Ken Stanton Music, and at a church conservatory of music, you would be required by law to have five (5) business licenses....one for each location. I am all in favor of one license per individual, but I think this law unfairly singles out musicians.

    I was advised by Cobb County Commissioner Tim Lee that I needed to contact State Senator Judson Hill and State Representative Matt Dollar to request an amendment to the law. I have done so, and I encourage you to contact your state senator and/or state representative asking the same (assuming you agree with me!) while the legislature is in session this year.

    Thank you,
  2. Magnusverdixon

    Magnusverdixon Pianissimo User

    Dec 25, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hi Alex ... until this silliness is corrected, you can of course write off ALL of that expense on your income taxes. Contact Uncle Harry (Dixon) oldest Rep ever in Georgia ... and tell him I sent you. I am originally from Waycross (the Swamp!)
  3. Vulgano Brother

    Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

    Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ugggh! Back in the day this Vulgano Brother was also a business agent for the AFM, and had a whole bunch of fun messing with people's heads (mostly management). One approach would be to ammend the law, the other would be to have it thrown out. For example, what other independent contractors are required to have a business license? Construction? One license per site? How about Amway representatives? One license per customer? Have your local officers contact your local Labor Council, a quick way to network, and find out how widely the law is applied. Get the press involved. Make noise. My experience has shown that activist violists can be most helpful (this, please note, is the only nice thing I've said about violists in this forum, and applies only to AFM activist violists.)

    Workers of the World, Unite!
  4. Alex Yates

    Alex Yates Forte User

    Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello there Russell and thank you for the info. I knew this law existed, but it seems now they are enforcing it more seriously. Silliness is right.

    BTW, I see you are kind of new around here. Greetings and Welcome! I am originally from NYC, but I am familiar with "the Swamp". :D
  5. Eclipsehornplayer

    Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

    Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Man that sucks Alex!

    They really stick it to you don't they?
  6. Tootsall

    Tootsall Fortissimo User

    Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I thought that a BUSINESS LICENCE was attached to the BUSINESS or PROPERTY, not the teacher? Do they mean that if YOU give trumpet lessons at the church and the lady that lives over t'other side of the holler gives pianie lessons that you've BOTH got to have a business licence to teach at the church? Bah, Humbug!
  7. ebtromba

    ebtromba Pianissimo User

    next will be one license per trumpet.

  8. averagejoe

    averagejoe Pianissimo User

    Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm glad I live over in Gwinnett, where there is no such requirement (at least that I am aware of).

  9. stchasking

    stchasking Forte User

    Jun 11, 2006
    No business license required in my city. Piano teachers, private music teachers, some types of insurance sales, engineering consultants don't need a business license. The license comes in when you are going to have a bunch of people coming to your house and taking up parking spaces and creating commercial vehicle traffic in a residential area. The business license lets the adjacent neighbors know what you are doing so they can protest.

    It seems to me the owner of the building you are teaching in holds the business license. Not the itinerant teacher.

    One more little tidbit. The business license requirement helps the police with probable cause when illegal activities are taking place in residential neighborhoods. Maybe 40cal can comment on this from the law enforcement side of the discussion?

Share This Page