Teaching Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Jul 23, 2012.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey all! :)
    Basically, my next-door neighbour's 10 year-old son has wanted to begin to play the cornet (supposedly after hearing me practicing next door, though I think that is just the neighbours being nice :D) and so I kindly offered to give him a little taster session next week, no cost. :lol:
    I was simply wondering what we could do, be it just getting a noise out of the cornet or whatever, and how to inspire him further?
    I have the Tune A Day Book One, so should I go through the start of this with him?
    And also, silly question probably, but is there any difference between a trumpet and a cornet apart from size?

2. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    I taught some kid tuba this past year (granted he already played trombone), but I got him to just start playing! What got him interested in playing was when I played the bass line to soulman on the tuba. This got him thinking about how cool it is to play. If you show them what they can work toward they usually go right to it! You must tell him though about how much practice it will take to get to that point. When I was starting to pick it up, I started to listen to more jazz and that was my goal. I now love to play any piece of Dizzy Gillespie I can get my hands on. My point being find what he wants to play and start to get him to work towards that goal and show him what he wants will take practice! Hope this helps ya!

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    There are other differences between the trumpet and cornet, but not as far as playing technique is concerned.

4. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I would suggest that the cornet might be easier for a ten year old to handle than a trumpet in the way the reach is much shorter and more balanced.
    It has been a many a time mentioned that the cornet is easier than the trumpet to learn on...I think that one can control the physics of a cornet a little easier.

I would suggest explain the mouthpiece buzzing etc then demonstrate , spend some time in getting a sound out of it with him.
    Sit down together with the tune a day book and have some fun with it..
    Always complement what he doing right and guide him in things that need attention to with constructive instructions. I would suggest this is the best way to inspire a young one.
    But really inspiration comes within.

I am no expert in such things.......... most teachers have been trained in this
    I could also advise that you and the young one could join a community brass band together, there will a lot of guidance and inspection there

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    There are all sorts of things you can do, but the most important is to realize your role:

You are the inspirer and exemplar, and provider of information.

Nurture his natural desire to learn; and, above all
    DO NO HARM.

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Ivan said it all. Have fun and get at it!
    He is already hooked or he'd be talking video games instead.

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    So I've been playing trumpet now for about 3 1/2 years, and I was a former musician way back on Sax (so I know music theory, etc.). I think I've got the basics down, especially from all my reading on TM. Is it legit for me to offer music lessons to absolute beginning trumpet players like the OP? I feel like if I'm honest up front and let the parents know my background, and if I'm honest about how far I can take their child, I think that'd be ok. I'd probably also offer a discounted rate off of what a real professional would charge too. Thoughts?

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The OP would be responding to a request from the prospective student. This is different to your question as to whether or not to hang up a shingle.

I can only repeat what I wrote above:
    DO NO HARM.

If you, or anybody else, after deep reflection, can agree to obeying this commandment, I would say "Go for it".

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I see this advice quite often and it confuses me a lot. I was a pretty small kid and I learned to play on my grandfather's Buescher 400, which is a big, heavy horn. I'm still playing today.

Trumpets aren't all that big, guys.

Tom

10. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Oh I hear ya. I would never offer myself as a teacher if I thought I'd mess up a kids chances to start out right.