Teaching.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Nov 11, 2014.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    What are they firsts things you teach to a completely new musician?
    I've had the task to teach 2 trumpeters, 1 of which allready read music so the problem wasn't as bad, however the new guy reads no music :(
    I.e I don't know whether to teach them on the cornet or how to read notes and music firsts.
    Or what to teach on cornet or what to teach in theory.

I obviously know teach how to hold it and make a sounds but what else?

Essentially, teach me to be a trumpet teacher haha :) W

What's the first things you teach?

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I say:
    Breathe (similar to Rowuk's circle of breath)
    Lips together
    Blow.

Most beginners work hard at blowing (like straining in the bathroom) but do not actually blow. Get them to hold a drinking straw with their lips and blow as if blowing a spit ball. Then blow gently through the horn with firmly together lips (as in saying "Mmmm"). Only with real difficult beginners do I get them to buzz their lips, because this in general creates too much tension.

3. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    ...and hold the trumpet. I started complaining about wrist pain to my instructor after the first month
    Plus I've noticed that if you hold the horn with your finget tips, instead of grabbing the valve block, makes you jam the horn in your mouth less

edit::I obviously read your post in a hurry :))))

I'd say reading and playing together. Keep them wathing that ledger line when they play C, over and over again, so it get imprinted in their memory.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I start with placing the mouthpiece on the student's lips--their muscle memory will take it from there. Then some breathing exercises, afterwards I'll play a g in the staff and have them match it. I then do the same on the c in the staff and then middle c. Their assignment is then to learn to play each of the notes at will. Next week I start them on a beginning band method, where they can learn to play and read at the same time.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Horse flapping the lips working towards a phew in a week or two. Have to know the notes and where they are. Every Good Boy Does Fine for the lines and F A C E for the spaces. Fingering charts and do everything SLOOOOOW!

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I combine reading music with playing. Good ideas below for getting a sound. Once they can get a note, then show whole note, half note, quarter notes etc. Obviously breathing, holding the horn and proper sitting are taught before playing. It is funny how we take holding the horn as natural, but to a beginner it isn't. Still remember my instructor was demanding of the right thumb between the 1st and 2nd valve casing. Don't guess I ever learned it- wrap thumb around first valve casing.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Breathing is always first, then long tones, then lip slurs, then easy tunes and scales, then technical exercizes.

It is really useful if the teacher has mastered these points as generally if you have to ask the questions, you are not ready to assume responsibility.

For those that don't have their act completely together, I simply suggest playing a lot of duets and maybe the soprano and alto parts from the hymnbook.

I have had quite a few students left over from well meaning "teachers/tutors". Most of the time it is real garbage what they have learned and is MUCH more work to fix than with any beginner - if it can be fixed at all!