Teardrop lip and trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Aug 18, 2010.

1. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Does anyone here have a "teardrop" upper lip and how/(does it?) this condition impedes your playing especially in the upper range? I see the problem with the teadrop lip is that the aperture splits in two smaller apertures off center and while it's not a big problem for the lower notes when it comes to higher notes when normally a smaller single aperture should be maintained in the center with the teadrop lip it's impossible as the teardrop blocks off the airflow in the center and the two off center apertures are already closed in preparation to playing the upper notes.

2. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Thats what i have but as an older beginner did know thats what its called. I just moved the mouthpiece off centre and that works ok at the moment. Am sure when i eventually get a teacher i will be reprimanded. will watch this post with interest.
    stev

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
  4. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Not sure about Thomas Stevens, it could be just his outer lip shape but here is a discussion on the flute embouchure types and if you look at 'N - Q'-shapes (with the Q being the worst case) you'll see what I'm talking about: Larry Krantz Flute Pages: Flute Embouchure Photos

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Its called a cupid's bow. It needn't affect trumpet playing. No famous teacher or system ( CG, Callet,Caruso,Reinhardt etc) mentions it as an impediment. I have one, a big one, andthe only problem I have with it is that is swells a bit when I take some esoteric medication. It does keep you from using too much pressure

6. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Cupid's bow is a different thing - it's the upper lip's outline, not the protruding lump of flesh, the 'tear drop' in the center that first contacts the lower lip when the lips are brought together.

7. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I know someone who plays extremely well with a lip like this. I believe that they use an embouchure similar to Maggios, but I'm not entirely sure about that. But it definitely does not affect their ability to effortlessly play high enough to make me jealous :p

8. Strad007

Strad007 New Friend

Nov 22, 2009
    I used to play crooked (to the right) but corrected it. For me, the lip doesn't impede high register; I play better corrected. Often have to practice in the mirror to keep it straight tho

9. dfusselman

dfusselman New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    I think the teardrop lip problem is real, but you have to have a pretty pronounced one to prevent you from playing well. Wynton has a noticeable teardrop, but I've been within 2 feet of him and it's not huge. I tried to get a pic of my chops on this post but the 15K jpg won't load :dontknow: If playing completely off the teardrop gives you an octave or so increase in range in a few days (like it did for me), that may be an indication that something about your chops is problematic. Also, if you range is sometimes pretty good then you probably don't have this problem.

Thomas Stevens has a massive cupid's bow, but his upper lip is fairly flat--so he is not an example of this problem. I'd post that pic also but the attachments on this site don't seem to work at all :thumbdown:

Hopefully, someone will study this issue scientifically to see if there is a strong correlation between high note difficulties and prominent tear-drop lips.

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This forum won't accept direct uploads. It is necessary to upload photos to a 3rd party site such as PhotoBucket or Flickr and then copy the .IMG link to your post in order for us to see the photos.