Technical Question for audiophiles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    This is aimed more for the people with audio engineering experience, seeing as how I have almost none. I have been using a very good program titled "Ardour" to set up a basic monitoring system on my computer. In short, I am trying to emulate a concert hall by using various plugins, i.e. Freeverb, EQ, Low pass filter, etc. I have a question, however. I cannot seem to get the right balance between the EQ and the low-pass filter to get the "sound" that I want. I have to use a low-pass filter because if I didn't, all I would hear are the high frequencies and none of the fundamentals. I want a darker sound (lower frequencies emphasized.) Does anyone know what settings I should try to make this work, or maybe some other kinds of filters? Also, I am using my built-in mic, so I'm not expecting perfection or even recording studio quality. I just want something to emulate the sound of a concert hall for my trumpet, like I said. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    I'm not a recording expert but if you want the sound of a concert hall go practice in one and record yourself in the process.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Well that would be the best option. This is more for simulation when I have no concert hall available.