technique for bugle?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Sep 12, 2013.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I got a bugle today- rexraft us army regulation with a rexcraft mouthpiece. I'm not the most awesomest trumpet player or anything, but I think I get a decent sound. I'm getting a very airy sound out of the bugle. I tried on cornet- not airy, then bugle- and very airy. i even tried the cornet mouthpiece in the bugle and even though it's a very loose fit (too skinny), the sound is not airy. I don't see any holes in the tubing or anything. Does one have to use a different embouchure or other technique to play bugle? Should I just get a trumpet mouthpiece for it? (I do have a trumpet mouthpiece- somewhere.)

(My son is going to become a boy scout and he is going to earn the bugling merit badge. My 12 yo daughter wants to give it a shot as well. I might have offered a handsome reward for learning this instrument...)

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I've never used a special embouchure for a bugle. Could you clarify what mouthpiece sounds airy please, is it the one you got with the bugle, and if so could you describe it

3. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    buglemouthpiece.jpg

I hope that works. That's a photo of the rexcraft mouthpiece that came with the bugle. That is the one I'm having trouble with. I play very airily. It says nothing other than Rexcraft on the mouthpiece.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Those particular bugle mouthpieces are terrible. Use a trumpet mouthpiece - it will fit fine and sound much better.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I use a trumpet mouthpiece in my bugle.

6. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    It's not cheating then? That's great news. I will hunt through all the boxes of stuff in my house or find a cheap trumpet mouthpiece.

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Not cheating, at least as far as I'm concerned. I have 3 bugles and use a trumpet mouthpiece on every one. You want the bugle calls you play to sound good without fighting a crappy mouthpiece.

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Christine,

A bugle has been known to have been called a "field trumpet", if that makes any difference to you; and I also use a trumpet mouthpiece in my bugle.

9. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's right - those U.S. Regulation/Boy Scout "bugles" are technically field trumpets. A real bugle is conical from the mouthpiece receiver all the way to the bell flare.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you, blame the time difference (I'm from the UK) but others have given you the advice I would have done, wow a case where we actually agree with a mouthpiece change, where's my diary I must mark it down. (For use the next time some kid wants us to ok his/her mouthpiece safari I can use "there has only been one time we've agreed on a mouth piece change........)