Technique?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bad Luck Lux, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Bad Luck Lux

Bad Luck Lux New Friend

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson, Az.
    Hello,
    I have been playing Trumpet for 7 years now. I've never had any private lessons and I pretty much taught myself how to play trumpet. I believe I am a really decent player for high school level, however I wanna' detach from only being a "student player" and dive into the Professional zone. For the past year I've been playing alongside high-level musicians that astound me everytime I hear them play. I've recognized that I am definetely one of the weaker players in the group and I wish to improve my technique to come to par with these people. In order to do so, I really need to imporve my technique. Does anyone have any reccomendations on how to improve the following:
    Range
    Intonation
    Articulation
    Flexibility
    Lip Trill (Frequent in Jazz)
    Tone
    (etc.)

I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Much Regards,

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Usually I let somebody else answer these types of questions, but I guess it's my turn at bat.

There are no shortcuts.

It takes hours and hours and hours of repetition to teach muscle memory and build strength, endurance, range, and all of the specialized skills that go into being a trumpet player.

That being said....
    1. Get a teacher (if at all possible..... even a person who teaches online is better than none, but a one-on-one inperson teacher is best.)

2.) Acquaint yourself with the literature for building and training.
    A. I can recommend Arban's Complete Conservatory Method, because pretty much EVERY trumpet player has or is working through that. There is enough for years of work if you do them correctly.
    B. Colin's Lip Flexibility Studies is another work that I can recommend
    3.) Play lots of long tones

Simple, huh? There is enough here to keep you busy for a couple of years at least. I'm sure there will be others to augment what I have said. This is a lifelong journey

3. Play play play play

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I suspect you have made a high school career out of learning the "tune of the day" (marching band show, upcoming concert tunes, contest music, solo & ensemble, etc...) rather than making fundamentals the focus of your daily practice. It's not your fault... that is how the secondary education system is set up.

Colin, Arban, Clarke, Charlier, + a metronome.

check your ego at the practice room door.
    stop making your mistakes your habits and turn the metronome down as slow as it takes to play a passage perfectly.
    when you can't do it wrong then turn the metronome up a click or two... repeat as long as it takes. Days, Week, Months... doesn't matter.

When you play literature and struggle with a passage try to break it down and figure out WHY you are struggling... Is it the key signature? then practice scales & clarke. Is it an interval you keep flubbing? Whenever you screw up it is almost always a breakdown of a fundamental skill that needs more practice.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You want to get better? Don't ask on the internet. Use the teachers that made those around you "impressive"

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND then after you follow the input from all that excellent posts above relate, you NEXT need experience. Experience will enhance and uniquely mature, through series of success and failures, all the good from your learned skills that you develop from following the above advice.

6. Bad Luck Lux

Bad Luck Lux New Friend

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson, Az.
    Thanks to all who replied. I really do appreciate all of it. I have worked up a lengthy warmup routine and now plan to add to it. I will work on getting some of the methods like: Stamp, Clarke, and Colin.

The only problem about this is that these students had private lessons from very reputable players in the Tucson area, and I can't afford that luxury.

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    This was my story through high school. Sadly I stopped playing after school for 12 years. Now I am learning to be a student. I have been using the better players in the groups i play in as my teachers. I plan to start private lessons soon. I am not sure I will ever be a pro in the sense that I make my living playing. I do aspire to play as well as my trumpet heroes someday. Personal satisfaction is the greatest reward of playing well. Get a teacher and practice at every possible moment. You will be glad that you did.

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You have the incredible benefit, as I do here in LA, of playing with seasoned people who kept at it long after I stopped. Getting near their skill level will be an ongoing adventure into the wilderness. One that that totally irks me, though, are the guys I run into who talk smack about everything from horns to embouchure to technique and they rarely practice. Drives me crazy. I put in the hours and they stand there bloviating often speaking of MY experiences! Just practice sensibly and off you go!

ed

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you find a way to fit your budget around just one or two lessons, it will make a huge difference. Take what you might spend on movies or other no-essential things and spend it on some lessons. Maybe you can do some odd jobs - mow lawns or shovel snow - stuff like that. Once you have a few lessons under your belt you will realize that it really isn't a luxury. If you aspire to be a professional, lessons will be absolutely NECESSARY.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    A warmup routine should be just that.... a warmup. You do it to get the buzz going and the chops responding as they should.
    Some days you may need a little more than others, but probably not anything considered "lengthy".

Warm up as much as you need to, but then start practicing. The things I posted (and other also) are PRACTICE exercises.

enroll in a local community college... take trumpet lessons from the faculty there. best bang for the $$. A whole semester of lessons for not too much money.