Technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Feb 15, 2016.

1. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    It's good to be in contact with you again rowuk. When I first joined TM a number(?) of years ago as "crowmadic," you were very helpful. I was a come back player and your help moved me along. I'm a much better player now. If I understand your reply to my thread you agree with Arturo Sandoval. Perhaps not as dramatically as he puts it in some of his master class videos. I'll just have to work harder at creating that habit.

2. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    That was my concern too but I'm seeing that it's necessary to a degree..............thanks

3. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    Thank you for your instruction. It makes a lot of sense. It's easy to want to rush things but I realize it's a long process. I just have to keep after that process.............thanks.

4. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    "Lipping in the squirrelys". I'll have to think about that and apply...........thanks.

5. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    You got my attention "bang them up" ?

6. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    You just made 5 posts! I hope you realize that you could have done it in one.

I never had any trouble with fingerings. So I don't know of any exercises, since I don't need them. All I can say is that you should keep your pinky out of the ring, and put your thumb between the first and second valve casing. Maybe that will help?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It varies with instrument and tuning ... something that one must become very familiar with. Sometimes alternate fingering is solution. Some days just aren't my days.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can't find the reference, but Doc Severinsen always taught, hit the valves hard, every time!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Don't worry about it - if you are taking care of the other part - hitting the valves with confidence, or "hammering your valves," as some might put it, the upstroke will take care of itself.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I seem to remember a Getzen flyer (when Doc was endorsing their trumpets) quoting Doc as saying something like "bang them down and bang them up".