Technology for Music / trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, May 14, 2014.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    At some point I may have to finally break down and get a tablet or other updated technology for not just every day use, but also for trumpet, music, etc. I have been historically as long as they have been making 'smart' phones an android person, but more often I see people with iPads and/or iPhones for music related activities. e.g. downloading and putting all of the sheet music on an iPad or using a tuner which I have the freebie one on my phone. A guy I do lessons with had historically been an android person as well, but decided to get an iPad and then to make things consistent went from android to iPhone as well so that they both would sync up 'play-together' better.... No PUN intended. ok maybe a little bit.

Also the other thought is whether you could have music on a mini-ipad and actually be able to read it or if you need to go with the full sized iPad or comparable android tablet?

of course as you look into technology there are other things that I have seen before where you can connect your phone to a mixing station or microphone / recording studio, etc. etc.

Those that have experimented or tried different set ups, let me know what you liked or disliked about your set up. Or what software you had to buy vs free play store apps.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    The normal iPad is about as small as I'd want to go to read music from. I have used it for a whole outdoor concert, where the rest of the orchestra were struggling in the wind and with page turns etc. fortunately the stage had a roof, so no reflections to worry about.

I have the complete Arban, as well as the New Arban by Pops on it, along with my warm up and range routines. Best gadget I've ever owned.

3. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I love using ForScore. Nice clean software, good features. Decent price.
    I also use a Cicada blue-tooth page turner. When I am in Landscape mode, the screen shows the top half of the page. Hit the footswitch and in slides up to reveal the bottom half. The next footswitch touch will turn the page to the top of the next page etc. - \

so the music is bigger still than using ipad in portrait mode. Without the footswitch it is really awkward. (especially when you're holding your harmon in place!)

cheers.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    That page turner sounds good. I use Forscore too.

5. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I have a tough time seeing a full sheet of music on a full size ipad...i really want to use it, but end up printing out everything.