Ted Curson's trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Can anybody identify the trumpet Ted Curson holds in this picture ?
    Thanks in advance !

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It's a Mahillion 4 valved piccolo trumpet.
    Ted and I used to get together and play Amsden duets. I owned a Mahillion, and when Ted played it he fell in love with the horn. Ted might be the first guy to use a piccolo in a jazz setting.
    Wilmer

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    In Chicago in the early '70's I used to go hear the Dave Remington band, Chicago's equivilant of the Vanguard band in NYC. One of the trumpet players, George Bean, played some great jazz solos on a Selmer 4 valve.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thank you so much, gentlemen.
    Wilmer, you have all my respect and admiration.
    Mikel.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    You mean BEFORE 'I Sing the Body Electric ?!?!?!? =:-)

bigtiny

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Ted and I go all the way back to junior high school.......YIKES!
    That picture is from the 60s.
    Wilmer

7. MrTrimmings

MrTrimmings New Friend

Jul 26, 2007
    Portland,OR
    Hi Wilmer;
    I was fortunate to hear Ted live back in '77 or '78 out here in Oregon..long time ago it seems. He had a new record out on Innercity I believe...Jubilant Power. He played picc on that gig..not sure what make...and suffice to say, blew the roof off da place! Amazing chops and energy and such a warm friendly person to talk to. Also had a young Jim McNeely on piano and, I think, it was Larry Gales on bass. Glad to know that Ted is still performing these days.
    Paul

8. MrTrimmings

MrTrimmings New Friend

Jul 26, 2007
    Portland,OR
    Duh..I looked at the picture and that looks like the picc he was playing on that night. Oh and just a few weeks later I heard Blue Mitchell and Art Pepper Quintet at that same tavern.
    Paul

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    The picture is by William Claxton and he says "Newport 1960" but I'm not sure ..

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I saw Ted sometime in the late 80's at the Willow Club in Somerville with a local rhythm section...I think it was probably James Williams, John Lockwood, and maybe Bob Gulotti on drums, but it was a long time ago. I remember Ted playing his ass off though!

Also, when it first started, 'Musician' magazine was actually a really good magazine for musicians. They had a bunch of real pros do 'clinic' type columns on a monthly basis. I remember Ted used to do the trumpet column and it was excellent. I remember one particular column in which he talked about the importance of practicing intervallic studies...and particularly WIERD intervallic studies....

bigtiny