Ted Curson's trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Jan 21, 2009.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Ted peeked in on us:cool:
    I alerted Ted about that photo. I had never seen that particular shot, Ted hadn't either.
    1960............almost 50 years ago:-o
    We do get some pretty distinguished people here visiting.
    Wilmer

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    My late father introduced me to Great Black Music about 3 or 4 days after I was born... He was an old jazzfan : Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, Django Reinhardt, ...
    I have followed that way all my life, continuing with "boppers", "hard-boppers", the New Thing and so on !
    I'm proud to tell you that I was present at the famous concert of july 1960 in Antibes-Juan-les-Pins (France), by Charles Mingus, with Ted Curson, Eric Dolphy, Danny Richmond, and ... Bud Powell as a special guest : half of the audience didn't like the new music it was ; I was in the other half. Two days later, I dropped my guitar down and bought a trumpet !
    I was 16 years old in 1960 ; since yesterday I am 65, I am not a good trumpet player (not at all), but I have never forget that music, "my" music, and when I play (badly, I know it, but no matter at all) "Better Git it in your Soul", "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting", "Goodbye Porkpie Hat", or "Fables of Faubus", all my problems and diseases vanish : (This) Music is the Healing Force of [my] Universe !
    Please be lenient because of my bad english ; and, if you can, please tell to M. Ted Curson it has been a great honour for me being indirectly in touch with him.
    Thank you again, M. Wise.

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    How could I forget Booker Ervin ?!

4. FlugelNoob

FlugelNoob Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    My first thoughts was a pocket trumpet, but these don't come with a 4th valve, so my guess was right of a piccolo trumpet.

Though the bell seems rather large, and the instrument seems rather conical then cylindricle. Seems more like a piccolo cornet or flugelhorn to me! :dontknow: