TED talk

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by victorhaskins, May 30, 2014.

1. victorhaskins

victorhaskins Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2012
    Richmond
    Hey y'all,

Here is the official video of a TED talk I did last month where I spoke on the topic of improvisation and related it to non-musical life--check it out if you get a chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71-5jKAZ_7k

Victor

bumblebee likes this.
  2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Whatchu talkin' about Ted Talk.....?

3. victorhaskins

Nov 27, 2012
    Richmond
    I think I see what you did there, Ted! haha

4. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    Nice job Victor, and congratulations on presenting on Tedx! You could take that talk on the road.

Since I am posting this on TM, I'll also say I like your cornet :)

5. victorhaskins

Nov 27, 2012
    Richmond
    Haha, thanks, Wondra!

6. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    Nice talk and great playing.

7. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Looks like you had a lot of fun and that's a great look for your career! How many people were there and were you compensated?

8. victorhaskins

Nov 27, 2012
    Richmond
    Thanks, lipnutz!

9. victorhaskins

Nov 27, 2012
    Richmond
    It was a lot of fun! I think somewhere near 100 people, more or less were there. No speaker for any TED talk (even the big annual TED event) is paid for their appearance.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Victor,

I do a talk on improvisation often for physician workshops and with every ward team early at the start of a rotation. I talk about performing "Clinical Jazz" at the patient's bedside which is all about using improvisation in a small ensemble. I parallel the form, function, social and technical skills being used in a quintet performance (I use a live version of Herbie Hancock's Cantalope Island - The one with Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Ron Carter, Tony Williams and Herbie) and demonstrate the improve communication techniques of naming a chart, harmony, soloing and keying on a leader. Then I bring in a couple of actual patient case situations and have the students and residents identify the same elements in the medical context. Immediately after that, we head of to round on new patients admitted to my inpatient service and do clinical jazz live and at bedside. It gets great response from all physicians I have had with me since I started doing this about 4 years ago.