Ted Weis... NY Philharmonic

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Anonymous, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
  2. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I remember hearing him play in the New York Brass Quintet (along with Robert Nagel) in the early '60s. I have no knowlege of his being in the NY Phil however.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Did you know this guy Wilmer? Any info?

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Ted Weis was first trumpet at the NYC Ballet.
    We were supposed to do a Music From Marlboro tour of Europe and Israel in 1965, but Teddy got sick and did not come to Marlboro.
    Don Whittaker replaced him on the tour.
    Teddy was one of the busiest players in NY.
    Bob Nagel and Ted Weis are on some of the Stravinsky recordings of the 50s and 60s.
    A super player.
    Wilmer

5. kid

kid New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Teddy Weis was also the first trumpet of NYC Opera for years and years. Along with Armando Ghitalla, Fred Mils and Vince Penzarella who also occupied the first spot for relatively short periods of time.

6. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Ted Weis was also principal in the American Symphony. I heard him play many times. I think when he was in his prime, New York was still a Bb trumpet town. The recording of the Stravinsky Octet conducted by the composer is one of my favorites. The trumpets are Robert Nagel and Ted Weis. The name of the vinyl album was Igor Stravinsky 1961. It also included a wonderful rendition of L'Histoire with Charles Brady on cornet.

Larry Malin

7. poochie

poochie New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    new jersey
    I'll second the Octet recording, just beautiful playing from the whole ensemble.

8. mikeblutman

mikeblutman New Friend

Jul 17, 2005
    Another nice Ted Weis recording is his Soldier's Tale with Stokowski. I have it on a disc sharing space with two Virgil Thompson suites (Stokowski and the Symphony of the Air).