teeth assisted embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Aug 22, 2011.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I have discovered that I use my low teeth (unconsiously) to assist my low lip when I apply compression for upper range. I roll the lip over my teeth. How bad this is? Should I stop it asap? Or should I continue -afterall I see no sideeffects.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think rolling the lip a little is pretty common for a lot of people when playing higher. If it's not hurting you or your playing then there's probably no need to fix it.

As far as what you can/can not do with your teeth, I think you may need to re-think how you're really making your adjustments. Your teeth are anchored, so you can't really "move" them or "use" them to assist with your playing. You can move your jaw and bring your teeth along for the ride, and your lips and tongue can be moved around the teeth, so maybe focusing on how you use them will give you a clearer idea of how you're creating your sound.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No analysis over the internet possible. Any advice at YOUR risk. A proper daily routine builds range by promoting holistic development. A rolled in lip may or may not fit in the big picture of your playing. As lipslurs are my main tool for chop development, I have never had to worry about WHAT my chops do. They gravitate to a naturally efficient state!