Teeth blocking Air flow/dental suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RudyLopez723, Sep 10, 2009.

1. RudyLopez723

RudyLopez723 New Friend

Sep 10, 2009
    I am currently a trumpet player in my second year at a community college, sitting first chair in syphonic band and 2nd chair in jazz band.

Since high school I have always had an issue with my tone quality above the staff. It is bright and even pinched sounding, I would practice hours and hours on lip flexibilities and lip slurs to help my upper register playing, and nothing seemed to help. So after very careful analyzation of my embrochure i realized that my teeth are the problem

I believe that my problem is a combonation of my two front teeth being too long, and also that i have a decent sized gap.

From having a gap when i first started playing, i developed an embrochure in which my air stream is directed through the gap, which is alright for playing in and below the staff because i can push the necessary amount of air even through the gap. But once i get above the staff i start to feel tons of pressure in my oral cavity and throat area and have always been very puzzled. Now I see that the gap in my teeth isnt big enough for me to push the velocity of air through for upper register playing with a good sound. I can get the notes out but that lack the darkness and thickness that i so badly desire.

So obviously i decided well if i just move my embrochure down a little bit to where my air stream is traveling below my top teeth like all other trumpet players then this will fix my probalems, sure I would have to adjust and take it slow to learn the new embrochure, but it was sopmething im willing to do to improve the quality of my sound.

Which leads me to my next problem, my top two front teeth are too long. As i try to move my embrochure lower on my lips i cant produce a tone through my horn without my teeth being in the way, they just stick down too far.

So I have decided to seek dental help, i believe maybe a filing down of my two front teeth will do a world of difference, and maybe even closing the gap with veneers to eliminate any chance of me slipping back to my old embrochure will help.

If anyone has any feedback on this, or has experience with a case similar to mine I would love to hear anything that might help me solve my issue.

Thanks,
    Rudy

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Rudy, don't act in haste with your teeth - you'll have a lifetime to consider it if you get it wrong. Get a couple of opinions - Tutor, Dentists, Music Director, Parents, etc - and wait for it - the TMers tirade. Good Luck.

3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Please don't go to the dentist! I have a gap in my teeth and things work fine. I know plenty of really good players that have gaps in their teeth. Lead players, classical players etc. If you are this paranoid, get a decent teacher and work on the fundamentals. You can make it work without the dental work.

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008

Right on the dot! Do NOT go to a dentist!
    Your problems are most likely to be of the
    kind that a really good trumpet teacher
    should help you with, NOT a tooth filer!!

5. Rocketman

Rocketman New Friend

May 11, 2004
    NC
    Rudy--

My opinion is similar to the previous responders that changing your front teeth would most likely be a mistake. I have a very long story concerning that but now is not the time. In fact, I would venture to say that your long front teeth could even be an advantage if utilized correctly. One of the things many players want to do is create good resistance to air flow with the embouchure. This goes along with my belief that resistance to high pressure air must be created somewhere and the best place for that is the embouchure itself. Many players are unable to properly create this resistance and thus, rely on either equipment to help or something worse, create resistance further back in the mouth or even worse, in the throat. At any rate, you seem to have the natural ability to create it in the very front. When you can create a more difficult route for the air to escape, resistance is the result. My advice, for something to try, is to go with what you have and stop trying to blow huge volumes of air through. Use the high pressure air you can generate as the source of your power. In other words, trust the high pressure and don't be so concerned about the high air volume. As many before me have pointed out, the horn doesn't need air, it's already full of air. What you do need is a good vibration. The smallest amount of air volume needed to create that vibration is a good thing and you seem to have that ability. I would say, don't fight it! --Ken B.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Maybe a discussion with a trumpet teacher or pro before you get anything done to your teeth?

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Get to a good teacher who can help you. It is so much cheaper than doing something to your teeth which could cost you in other ways for the rest of your life.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    your teeth are not "blocking" anything. If you look at the throat of the mouthpiece, you realize how small a gap to move air has to be. You can't fill a mouthpiece faster than it can pass air itself. It is only a visualization when we talk about moving air. Our air is not moving in large volumes or quickly.

You need to get your breathing together and the rest generally will follow.

9. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Not your teeth. Don't go there. I thought that was my problem for a while, even visited a cosmetic dentist about it, and then I learned to open my throat more, worked on my flex studies and reeeellaaaaxxed the system, and POW!

I repeat. Not the teeth.

ed

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    If you need a whole in your teeth just engage a bar fight ROFL. Someone will take care of you. :twisted: But don't ask after how to play trumpet with no front teeth. :dontknow: