Teeth Help Needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DNMH, May 20, 2014.

1. DNMH

DNMH New Friend

May 19, 2014
    Years ago I had a gap in the upper front filled in with a two-tooth splint. This worked fine musically and cosmetically. Recently the splint came out as a result of the teeth breaking to which it was attached. I went back to the Dentist and had another splint put in. This one had to be done by going higher into the gums and grabbing what stubs were left, putting metal wings on the back to grab the adjoining teeth and somewhat of a porcelain widening to allow more inward pressure. Cosmetically, this isn't too bad.

The rub is that because the splint juts forward a little, I get no mouthpiece support from the two adjoining teeth. This has taken away my brown sugar tone, made high notes harder and reduced flexibility. I use a Bach 3C.

I have a Bunk Johnson record that he made after he was rediscovered and bought a set of dentures. I have the same brittle tone that he got. Is that customary from playing on dentures or porcelain?

I have an appointment to present this. From you, I would like to have your similar experiences and ask you to help me with what I might tell the Dentist and ask him to do.

Thanks

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's a tough call ... and to start with, some of us will have intonation problems with dental work / dentures and others not. I went through initial training with a diagonal break off of the right upper frontal incisor and got a cap for it during the summer. This lasted through high school and a few years more until I went into USAF where the cap broke on a bone in my soup ... commercial, not USAF. I did get the USAF dentist to repair it and he suggested he also do the left one to get the balance between the two. These lasted 50+ years until about every tooth in my head was so loaded with fillings and I now have a full upper denture and a lower partial except for five natural teeth. All I can say about my tone now is that it is where I put it and how I put it there with no consideration of any dental effects ... just as such has always been. Until proven beyond a reasonable doubt, I'll not accept the dental excuse.

3. DNMH

DNMH New Friend

May 19, 2014

I went to the Dentist and he ground some porcelain from the sides and slighly grond a long bottom tooth that gives some playing support.
    I suggested he shorten the teeth serving as the splint and he suggested first trying what he did today.
    Since his work today, I am getting air through with less effort, my tone and high notes are better too.
    Still not back to my old standard and feel maybe this can get better.
    Do you think I should have the splint teeth ground some to get more air?
    How much air do you need for the aperture?
    Can you have too much air?
    What is the best aperture size for the trumpet?
    What is the best aperture size/air flow combination?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just as the aperture is on a camera, the lip aperture will vary with the musical tone you wish to produce on your brass instrument and such also varies from player to player as does their facial and lip physiology.