Teeth hurt after practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JD.music, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JD.music

JD.music New Friend

Jun 15, 2013
    Hello all,

I'm a nineteen year old in repair school right out of high school, and even though I'm going to be a tech, I'm a trumpet player first. I've been a bit out of practice, so today I practiced and practiced some more. It's was about 15 minutes here, fifteen minutes there. The whole time I practiced would probably be a few hours, but there were a plethora of breaks involved. I'm starting this thread because towards the end, and the main reason I stopped practicing today was that my bottom front teeth were starting to hurt. Now, I don't play with a lot of pressure, and actually had that problem when I was younger, so I try to play as relaxed as possible, with as little tension as possible, which includes pressure on my lips. I decided to get back to basics today so I was playing the First Studies of Arban's and stopped about halfway through number 10. I decided to get back to basics actually because I played through an étude I used to play and got the notes easily enough, but my endurance was lacking. My range lately has increased very well, but this endurance problem has been plaguing me, which really I'm blaming on not practicing enough(I really don't.) about once a week, and am practicing more lately because I'm on spring break.

Anyway, I was wondering if this hurting in my teeth is common, or I just over practiced today, any info would be appreciated. It hasn't happened before, and this is the first time it's happened, I'll let you guys know if it persists.

Thanks,
    JD

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Check it out with a dental peridondist.

3. scott@95603

[email protected] New Friend

Mar 27, 2014
    In my rather long life time I have only heard of a similar situation one time. He was a music major in college who eventually switched from trumpet to string bass because of his teeth hurting after or perhaps during play. I don't know if he ever resolved the problem.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just a thought, but wouldn't that be similar to if someone who hasn't exercised in a while, who then goes out jogging and complains that their legs are sore?

If it's serious pain, by all means stop and get it checked out, but it's not uncommon to have a bit of soreness or discomfort in teeth, lips, jaw, face muscles, etc, coming back after a layoff. That all goes away in a few days once you've reestablished your practice regimen.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I have had similar problems. My pain has been drastically reduced by wearing a mouth guard at night. I had been grinding my teeth, which makes them much more sensitive. See your dentist, get some x Rays. My issues may be different from yours.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Long tones, longer tones and even longer tones. Just like body building, we can tone up with light weights and a lot of repetitions, or we can build a sixpack with heavier weights. Playing is fine motor activity. Heavy lifting definitely is destructive to the face. I believe Herbert Clarke when he says that pianissimo is our friend!

7. JD.music

JD.music New Friend

Jun 15, 2013

I played a bit today and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was. Just a little too much too soon. Gotta remember baby steps back into it.

Thanks,
    --JD

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    quit biting down on the mouthpiece ---- that technique is only for woodwind players ROFL ROFL ROFL ((just ease back into playing as you now, already know --- time and patience, and time and patience)) ---- have a great day, play and be happy

9. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    You are using to much pressure

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    He said right at the top of the thread that he doesn't play with a lot of pressure.