teeth issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bill McCloskey, May 20, 2007.

1. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    As I've been progressing, I've notice a bit of a problem. my lower left front tooth overlaps by lower right front tooth and it digs in to my lower lip as I play. Will my lip develop a type of callous after a while much like my fingers would on the guitar? Anyone have any experience on this?

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    A callous of sorts can develop on the outside of the lip, but on the inside of the lip (where you are apparently talking about) it could only develop into a sore.
    Callouses don't develop on mucous tissue.

Are you an upstream player or a downstream player?
    In other words, is your anchor spot on your upper lip (downstream player) or your lower lip (up stream player)?
    Many players such as Maynard Ferguson and Lin Biviano have placed the mouthpiece more towards one side of the embouchure in order to get a better anchor position on the embouchure.
    And a change in mouthpiece cup diameter and rim shape can further reduce the problem.
    Of course, minimizing mouthpiece pressure against the lips would further minimize the problem.
    Some people with severe problems that cannot be worked around end up having to see a dentist to have the faulty dentation corrected, such as with caps.

- morris

3. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    As far as I can tell, I'm right in the middle. I tried lowering the mouthpiece more towards my lower lip and that seemed to relieve the issue, but it wasn't as comfortable to play. Perhaps an increase in cup diameter would help.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have crooked teeth (wouldn't agree to braces because the dentist wanted me to quit trumpet for a year or two) and have been playing for 40 years. If anything could have gone wrong, it would have and hasn't.
    If your present mouthpiece is working, don't change it! Keep working on your breath support, lip flexibilities and range to keep your embouchure in shape and you will be fine!