Teeth, Jaws and Mouthpieces...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BernArt, Jan 20, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am generally amused by threads like this - from various angles.

If we say if it ain't broke - don't fix it, does the thread owner have anything broken? needing fixing?
    If we say we try everything because the silver bullet may be around the corner, then why ask?
    If we take my personal opinion of define what the next step needs to be to reach a musical goal and then go for it - how much analysis has been performed?
    I also say evolution and not revolution. With a decent daily routine, we maintain the chops, body and soul and our playing, body use and ultimately embouchure evolves.

So, if we are practicing the Earl Irons lip flexibilities and really cranking them out, our chops are in pretty good shape. If our practice routine is not very evolved, how is the magic of music supposed to work? Most of us don't need an embouchure change, we need a size 13 boot planted where the sun doesn't shine. Most of the problems are simply due to the lack of dedicated practice and the ability to judge that quality playing time to optimize the experience.

2. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    +1

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Eugene Blee used a verbal version of approach with me during my first few lessons with him at UC's College Conservatory. Worked wonders with my play ability within a couple of months. He also gave me many, many assignments each week in my work book and ended his assignment reviews saying: "This will keep you off the streets". It did, and I am a better person for it.