Teeth moving; do I leave them or move them back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lpatrolia, Aug 14, 2013.

1. lpatrolia

lpatrolia New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Hello! I'm a trumpet player going into my senior year of high school (audition year!) and I've noticed my two front teeth moving considerably. I went to band camp for two weeks, and played constantly, moving my teeth even more, to the point where my mom noticed the difference. Cosmetically speaking, I would like to move them back, but I'm okay with keeping them like this if it means that my tone and range remain in tact. However, if I were to try to move them back, what method would be best?
    Also, how do I fix my embouchure so that this doesn't happen? I've been trying to put less pressure on my mouth, but that's a challenge when playing for hours at a time, in a high register. Is there any special technique to fixing it? Thanks for the input!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    See a Dentist. See a Dentist NOW!

3. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    this is not normal or good. agree with Gary to see a dentist right away. somethings gotta give ... but not your teeth! more focused air and less pressure would be the next steps ... but if you dont stop doing what you're doing now, you wont be playing at all soon. next: get 'Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing' by Claude Gordon

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way... Welcome to TM where some of our advice may be blunt and stick to the point.

I would believe I am that kind of guy.

I rarely ramble... Oh sure, sometimes Kingtrumpet and I can get off to on a tail spin, but that doesn't happen too often. And then there is Vulgano Brother. our most verbose Moderator on this site. He really knows his stuff... of course he tends to post only at the superior level... Take for example his "Ray of Power" theory... but then there is my "Raw of Power Theory" which is really the "Ray of Power Theory" taken to the next level. And then there is Rowuk... He is just plain cerebral AND philosophical all in one statement! Wow! The best!!! But he's backed off lately, perhaps something I said! Maybe... but would love to have him back again. Then there is Turtle Jimmy.... He just came back after a slight diversion to the underworld of the saxophone. But he is now back and recently graced to the level of Utimate status. Yep he's that good... so you give him a congrats as well... Tell him I send ya.... Then you will get Tobylou... giving you all his welcome icons. It's pretty much a tradition here... In his case, I believe this is more a reflection of his lonely childhood, when the kids in the neighborhood had to tie raw hamburger to his back side just so his dog would lick him. Then there is TrumpetMD who gives excellent medical advice... sometimes even better than mine... sometimes. And if Trumpetsplus ever gives you technical advice on the trumpet... you better take him up on it as his advice you can take to the bank... he does tend to edit my responses with truthful humor... but I really leave the serious editing to my personal TM editor, BigDub. Speaking of taking advice to the bank, I mean we have a real gifted contingency here from Australia... I mean all of there advice is spot on... especially about beer... but being an underage member... you probably want to ignore this comment.. So I could go on and on about everyone here at TM, but remember, I am blunt, stick to the point, and am very modest. Again... Welcome to TM.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way... does it really take two loose teeth to make your first post... I mean for crappin out loud. Will we have to wait until your wisdom teeth need extraction to hear from you again... Don't be a stranger... or at least don't be any stranger than me... for crappin out loud!

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    In addition, seeing your internist wouldn't be an awful idea, either. As Gary will add in his next posting, there are systemic issues that might have loose teeth as a symptom.

Tom

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire

I'm insulted no Grumpy Yorkshireman with silly jokes

To the OP it is 2:30

Dentist time well and truly go directly to the dentist, do not, pass go do not collect £200 ($200)

2:30 = tooth hurty

8. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii

When an Englishman tells you that you need to see a dentist, you know it's time.............ROFL

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    As all have said - It is Not normal - see a dentist

Welcome to TM

10. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    The dental arch, the semi-circle of teeth, is a very stable form. That's why arches are used as supports in buildings throughout history. Especially in a young person with intact teeth, it would be very unusual for teeth to move as you describe. You imply that they are moving out (forward) since you are considering having them moved back. Is this correct? Teeth only move when the forces that play upon them are out of balance and the normal equilibrium changes. Brass players generate forces that apply pressure to the outside of the front top teeth, forces that are resisted by the arch form and all the teeth further back in the mouth, and the muscles of your face that keep the arch from expanding out to the sides. If in fact your teeth are moving out (forward), it sounds like your tongue is the problem. The tongue is a very powerful muscle and any aberrant tongue habits can cause tooth movement. Can anybody comment on that? But do see a dentist to rule out any disease process since you need a pretty intact dentition to play any brass instrument well.