Tell me about the flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpet_dreamer, Aug 7, 2017.

1. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Here's the difference:

The Trumpet is a hard task-mistress, requiring you to get up at 0600 and do drill until you fail. But you can't fail. She'll scream at you (and that's if you're lucky!), she loves her buttons being pushed, and will always leave you wondering if there's a better mistress by mail-order.

The Flugelhorn on the other hand is voluptuous, softly spoken, downright dangerous at her best, and will make your ears curl at her worst. She is cack-handed and clumsy, but will make butter melt in your mouth. She's perfect for a lazy Sunday morning affair.

2. trumpet_dreamer

trumpet_dreamer New Friend

Jul 12, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks. I got a Jinbao. The price was right.

Dennis78 and TrumpetMD like this.
  3. trumpet_dreamer

Jul 12, 2017
    Canada
    I like your analogy here. I think you may be right.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Congrats on the Jinbao, I am sure you will have some fun.

The other thing to mention is that it is worth your while to put an electronic tuner on it, to help you identify the notes that will be out of tune, and to help you adjust to it.

There are mutes, but why would you want to use it, the sound is so beautiful. I have a couple that are Flugelhorn specific, and to give you an idea of taper, the H&B French Horn Mute fits the Flugel - Though the Fench Horn Mutes plays horribly out of tune, and I would avoid it for the Flugel - the example is to give you an idea of the taper. The trumpet mutes will not fit.

If you can find some Alto Trombone Mutes, they should fit, but try them before you buy them. The sound is magnificent without, and there Flugel specific mutes add a new dimension - not always better, but different.

http://jo-ral.com/jo-ral-mutes/flugelhorn-mutes/
    http://www.humesandberg.com/product_listing.php?category_id=1&scid=13

Good luck, and enjoy it!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Acludwig1 likes this.
  5. trumpet_dreamer

Jul 12, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks for that.

I have a couple of tenor trombone mutes and they fit perfectly. You are right about the tuner, that is something that I will get into.

6. Brassman64

Brassman64 Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    While playing Girl from Ipanema.

7. Brassman64

Brassman64 Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    With Flugelhorns mouthpieces can change the sound too.I prefer the rich dark tone for the flugelhorn .Try out different mouthpieces to see how they effect your sound.

8. trumpet_dreamer

Jul 12, 2017
    Canada

I am interested in trying different mouthpieces. Unfortunately, the one that came with the horn has no markings on it so I am not sure what it is or how to compare it to others.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree. I found an amazing mouthpiece that blends so perfectly with my Kanstul. This is a very personalised match but the Flips Oakes Wile Thing (With a Bach Taper horn) works just so perfectly. That deep V cup just lets you play with the cushion of air you can put into the mouthpiece. So I can still get that buttery sound on the flugelhorn, but also spread it thick (or thin) too.

Brassman64 likes this.
  10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Please tell us all about it! I'm interested in getting one eventually as well. For my own enjoyment so top brand big money ain't for me
    There's not enough fair first hand reviews of the Chinese made brass out there