tell me if im right

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Apr 4, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have monette pistons on my bach, and I use ultra putre valve oil, I consistantly play 1-3 hrs a day minimum and I can re-oil every 1-2 wks this time I had gone 1 1/2 weeks and pulled my valves out to re-oil them. On my first piston I noticed discoloring as in the metal was lighter around one of the holes, and slightly lighter on one side, this leads me to believe I need a valve alignment, however I got one a little over a year ago. I know that the valves last about 2 yrs before needing another alignment, but I made the valve oil switch last month. I would assume that this is not a side affect, in that one of my friends has monette pistons, and made the switch about a week after I did, no problems yet. Am I right in assuming I need a valve alignment?

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I think you mean "monel" pistons.

Valve alignment means lining up how far up and down the valve goes and lining up as accurately as possible to the ports in the casing. It's not about whether the piston is wearing evenly. Discoloration could mean the valve is dirty or possibly that you push the valve down a little crooked. Unless your valve is sticking, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I feel kinda dumb cause I just realized I said monette insead of monel.

4. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    and its only the 1st valve, the 3rd (which would recieve dirt first is fine) its the 1st valve, and it's a touch slower than the rest. the springs on all of them are the same and what not, yeah I think i'll put it off till june or somethin

5. cloudnine

cloudnine Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2008
    Why are you using valve oil once every one to two WEEKS? If you're putting in that much time they need to be oiled much more often.

6. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I do the same thing. I only need valve oil that often with ultra pure.

MT- I've never had a horn that the valves seemed to wear completely evenly. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

7. cloudnine

cloudnine Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2008
    Really? Wow. Strange. :dontknow:

8. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    That's what I was like, I used to have to oil everyday, it kept the same speed up as fresh oil does for a good 2 weeks on my first usage.

9. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    oiling everyday with the old stuff, oiled once with ultra-pure for 2 weeks

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You should oil at least once a week. Oil evaporates over time. What you are seeing on your valves could just be excess moisture.

As said above, valve alignments don't need to be regularly done. I own 8 Bb horns and have never aligned any of them (even though I have the basic tools and knowhow to do it) A true port alignment is done to correct for both the vertical and horizontal movement. Horizontal movement can be done with custom fit valve guides, but often requires the spring box to be repositioned. Difficult stuff for most average techs to do. (I wouldn't do it on a customer horn for any price.)

Wear patterns on the pistons can mean a number of things, including you pushing them in at an angle, dirt, or slightly warped casings. My best guess is pushing them at an angle.

I don't think valves will ever be truly equal in strength. There are too many variables to make them even. Unless they are considerably different in speed, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep the horn clean and oiled and you will be fine.