Tell me something about my Cornet Please!

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by RoccoNut16v, Jan 17, 2006.

1. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    A year or two back I got a Selmer H & A Signet Special cornet from a friend. He was a brass tech for a local music store, and this trumpet was his assignment to get back into running shape. You can't sell a cornet to save your life in this town, so he gave it to me for free. Right now shes just my back up horn/beater to save tear on my bach. I'm just curious if it's worth anything, or worth restoring. I'm under the impression it's a midline horn from the 60's, but I'll not bet my life on it. I like how it plays none the less, though the valve action is a little slow for my taste, no doubt due to age.

Thank you in advance.

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Anyone have any info on this horn?

It is one I have no experience of.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

3. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
  4. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
    The level of build depends alot on the age of the horn. If it was build in the 1920s or so it was built as a high level professional instrument. After about 1929 the great depression put alot of the craftsmen out of work and quality of construction dropped through the 1930's.

5. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    Thanks for the info guys. Now I definatly don't feel bad handing her to sophmores and friends when their horns are on the fritz, though the penalty for damaging it shall still be death :twisted:

Thanks again!

6. Bilbo

Bilbo New Friend

May 1, 2006
    I have an English Besson Bb/A trumpet that has 2 fisrt, 2 second and 2 third valve slides. the serial number 97947. I have shown this horn to Dr. Utley of the Utley trumpet collection, several years ago and he said since it was a prototype there were probably only around 200 made. Does any one know where I can find out about this horn?

7. dwhass

dwhass New Friend

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a Selmer H&A Signet cornet from 1966. My first horn. She is nickle plated, finish is still great. I had a solder break on the straight brace from the mouthpiece receiver to the bell. No other problems ever. With a Bach 5V she has a nice tone. Sorry that is all the info I have as she has worked for me for 40 years with only the one brace problem.

Good Luck with your cornet.