Tell me this is a joke

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    Nope, not a joke. I have a jo-ral straight mute for my picc. Don't get to use it much though.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    What's funny about a piccolo mute?

3. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    :soap:
    You know, for the life of me, I can't figure out why so many people find mutes for some instruments to be useful and accepted, but for other instruments, superfluous and silly. I have a jo-ral harmon mute for my flugel, and I have read complaints that it is pointless, and I can't figure out why. It adds to the options for sounds that I can get out of the horn. What more could you expect from a mute? I have read some comments that it sounds no different than a harmon in a trumpet, but I disagree - especially with a deep MP (wick 2fl).

This sounds like I'n ragging on people I disagree with, but I'm really just trying to understand what the complaint is.

End of soap box.

- Steve-O

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    no offence taken.... and I guess I started it
    This is how I see it..
    pieces for pic are linited to begin with... and they are sort of a novelty or role specific instrument ... I have never heard any jazz done on a pic ... I hear the straight mute used in orchestra pieces by Leonard Berstein and some Gerswin ... just can't imagine it's place... even the flugel seems a big odd to me ... perhaps a cupmuted one in the low register for something ... god knows what...
    Can you imagine a composer sitting down and saying.. ah ha.. I think I need a muted pic or flugel trumpet ...right.. HERE..
    just the way I see it
    but thanks for the education ... I won't be bidding on it though, I think I could use the money for "Lip Flexibilities"

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  6. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    If I remember right, there's an arrangement of Star Wars that calls for piccolo trumpet, and has a muted section - ran into it about a year ago while in college - the only reason I bought one. Haven't used it since, though.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    well that is one way of getting the pic part
    Professor: "looks like we have a pic part here, how many of you have piccolos trumpets"
    Hands are raise
    Professor: "okay, how many of you pic players also have a mute"
    The lone hand of Ichierzen still raised
    Profesor: "okay son, it's your part, don't screw it up"

bumblebee likes this.
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Maybe it's the color of that one ... Santa Red .... like a Christmas tree ornament.:dontknow:

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I "heard" Maurice played that one one time, maybe, or at least touched it or looked at it! ;-)