Tell me this is a joke

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 24, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you seriously saying that you don't see much use for a flugel? I use a flugelhorn all the time - granted, I don't use it a lot and it isn't my main instrument, but playing in big band and the wedding/party band, ballads call for flugel all the time. My flugel gets played enough with the wedding band gig that I really couldn't go without having one. Same thing for Big Band - there's just a certain retinue of equipment that you need in order to play a gig like that.

Sorry - I know it's off topic, but I thought it was relevant to the conversation.

2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    tobylou8 likes this.
  3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is the funniest thing I may have ever seen on this forum!!

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I played "Into the Woods" a few months ago. The book was written for big trumpet only (two books: Bb or C) -- no piccolo parts indicated. The musical director wanted the sound of the picc on the high fanfares, and the fact that I have one contributed to my getting called to play the show. Some of the fanfares were indicated to be played in straight mute, and the MD wanted that sound too.

So I went to my friendly local music store and bought the cheapest (of two) picc straight mute -- a brass-bottomed Tom Crown (and it wasn't very cheap). It now sits on a shelf in my practice room, next to the Denis Wick wood mute I bought for "Annie" and haven't used since.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    well, I guess the rule of thumb here is if you buy one it should be for a gig..so after that you can put it on your coffee table and have it as a conversation piece...
    yep, seriously never knew they made flugel mutes..
    thanks for the stories..fun post, and info

7. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I used a straight mute on picc on a gig last night. I'm playing a local run of Bye Bye Birdie and while the book does not specifically call for picc, there are some high muted parts that are very comfortable to play on picc.

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I played C trumpet on "Into the Woods." All the fanfares were done on on the C.
    There were a few piccolo trumpet cues, none of them muted. I had a note or two on Bb.....................I got another double for that:cool:

That mute in the picture looks like a H and B pixie mute.

Wilmer

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Those are single gig mutes. They should be labeled better at the music store. "Use once, toss.":lol:

Turtle

And, jbkirby, that clip of the cucumber trumpet is hilarious. It's heartwarming to see young brass designers in action.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  10. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I think Petrushka (if you're playing the D Trumpet part on Picc) is the only time I've seen it. It takes an instrument with an innately nasal sound and squirrelly pitch and raises you level of challenge to a whole n'other level.

Fortunately, Buster the Dog, thought that teething on the corks of my Tom Crown picc mute was a good idea. My mute is no more.