Tell us the story of your trumpet disaster.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cmcdougall, Feb 18, 2006.

1. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Tell us all the story of when you badly damaged your horn. My story is two years ago I was playing my strad on the marching field, I finished playing "25 or 6 to 4" and my hands were terribly sweaty. Well, my horn just slipped out of my hands, the bell was dented horribly. Instead of getting the dents removed I just payed the deductible and got a new bell for it, ended up ok. Luckily I have not dented my Monette yet, but it's only been a month...

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I had two students fooling around in my band room my first year as a teacher. They were running out of the room when one of their hands hit my Bach Strad sending it flying over 20-feet through the air. I was in my room and actually dove for my horn, but sadly missed. The horn needed a complete overhaul it was damaged so badly, and I ended up in the hospital with cracked ribs and a separated shoulder. The pain would have been worth it if only I had made the catch!

3. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    This story actually belongs to my friend from when we were in college. He was borrowing our teacher's prototype Raja and had it in some dinky case. Well, the dorm building at NEC has terrible front doors that swing closed very quickly. Needless to say, Ryan walked through the door, but the Raja did not quite make it. The bell was crumpled, and I believe it was later destroyed by Monette (I am not certain of this though).

4. DLoeffler

DLoeffler Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The Uni of South Carolina Trumpet Ensemble was performing for the Govenor's Tree Lighting ceremony, which is a live television broadcast. The ensemble stands on the side of the state house building on a ledge that has a 40 foot drop.

I had to empty the water from my second valve slide. When I pulled the slide, I heard a very quiet "ding ding de-ding ding ding". I looked down and realized the internal tubing came off the slide and started rolling towards the ledge.

I was able to grab the tubing and jam everything back together to finish the show.

I know, not as terrible as crushing a bell or kicking a Strad through the goalposts (yes a friend actually did this in high school), but still rather horrifying when it happened.

5. someone

someone Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2006
    California
    My floors had been mopped. I was walking in socks, and carrying my trumpet. I slipped. Luckily, my trumpet caught my fall. My bell is now a semi-circle, and I need to get it repaired.

But on a positive side, I thing I might have broke my elbow had the trumpet not slowed me down. I have a giant gash on it currently that hurts a lot.

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have two both with my Bach Bb and Wayne Tanabe straightened them out beautifully both times.

1. Horns in gig bag I have an upper locker, gig bag falls out and hits floor bell gets crushed. Didn't use a gig bag again for several years and only use now when I really need to carry Bb C and Picc at the same time.

2. College pep band (DePaul at that time paid us to do it) I am on the end next to me is the student section and tanked student fell over on my horn which is on a stand, bell made contact with concrete, and got crushed again. Athletic department footed the bill for this one. This was at the Notre Dame game next year I used my student horn that I was trying to figure out how to turn into a lamp.

7. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    This one was actually my brother. The marching band ion high school was doing a dance break in a song, and the Sousas had the horns off, and were spinning with them... He let go. He got about 13 yards and a massive repair bill.

Me personally have never had a major accident with a trumpet. Ive had posts break off and other things on my saxes though

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I have a few...

1. I was in quintet rehearsal. I had my cheapo triple case that I had bought for $10 from a freind (I needed it and was a poor college student...) open, with my Bb and picc in it (I was playing something on C at the time). In walks the french horn player. He tripped on my case, and I watchedd in horror as my Bb went flying out onto the floor (the picc was secured a bit better), and he landed on it with his foot. It had a nice curved shape similar to a bow... 2nd valve slide was pushed right in, 3rd valve casing damaged, 3rd slide damaged, leadpipe bent. The repair man there is nothing short of a miracle worker, and resurrected it to be performable and in really good (not the same, though) order in about a week. I used it until I bought my newest baby 2 years ago.

2. I was in drum corps, and had a solo coming in the next tune (I think it was Star, by Earth, Wind and Fire). At the end of our opener, we were supposed to pop our horns down to our sides. I was really excited... popped my horn really hard... so hard it landed on the ground, and the rotor (it was a valve-rotor bugle!) came completely apart. The tubing coming out and going into the rotor had come unsoldered... The major gives the command to start Star... but my horn is literally in pieces. Luckily, the soprano player standding next to me was a good freind... he handed me his so I could play the rest of the how on it.

9. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Back in high school I was greasing up my tuning slide and only put one end in at a time to work in the grease. The slide (had no supporting brace) bent so bad that each end of the tuning slide criss-crossed.

Also a frined of mine dropped her trumpet form the top of a very large locker.
    Since I graduated high school, I've had absolutely no accidents. This is my fifth year in university and I've had countless gigs and still no accidents (knock on wood)

Eric

10. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    From what I understand he was a little upset. After that, Charlie was fairly careful about lending out his horns though.