Tempe Symphonic Wind Ensemble Concert (This Monday)

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Derek Reaban, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    The Tempe Symphonic Wind Ensemble is performing on Monday, December 5, 2005 at 7:30 PM. There are some really great pieces scheduled:

The Glory of the Yankee Navy.......Sousa
    Folk Song Suite ...........................Vaughan Williams
    Pavanne......................................Gould
    The Promise of Living...................Copland/Singleton
    4 Dances from West Side Story.....Bernstein/Polster
    Raymond Overture.......................Thomas/Matsushiro
    Victory at Sea..............................Rodgers/Bennett
    Folk Dances.................................Shostakovich
    The Pines of the Appian Way.........Respeghi

The concert will be held at McClintock High School (Boyle Auditorium) which is North of Southern Ave on McClintock Drive in Tempe, Arizona. Please stop by to say hello if you happen to come to hear us!

It’s a FREE concert!

2. Derek Reaban

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Our first concert of the season turned out great! This is by far the most demanding book that I have had to play with this ensemble (over the years I’ve transitioned from playing section parts with the occasional 1st part to covering the Principal chair). We’ve added some new players to the section this season, and I have someone to share the parts with (and it was still a big blow!).

I ended up having prominent solos in over half of the pieces that were programmed, and I’ve never had so much fun making music in my life. We had a guest conductor for the Vaughn Williams (Richard Strange), and after rehearsing my solo in the 3rd movement, he commented that it just didn’t sound right without the British Brass Band vibrato. I typically don’t have vibrato on a dotted quarter at that tempo, so I really had to visualize in my mind how I was going to do this. Well, at the concert it came off great! I got lots of winks and nods and head turns from players in the group. It’s amazing how altering one component of “sound†can change your entire package!

Another special part of this concert for me was that my family was able to attend. My Wife hasn’t wanted to brave one of these concerts by herself with my three boys (7, 5, 3) , so when my Wife’s Parents happened to be in town they all got to come (it’s been 3 years since my Wife last heard this group).

Now that I’ve added a “centering†session back into my practice day my sound has really locked in to what I’ve known I could achieve. My Wife hears me play in Church regularly, but her comment from the concert confirmed what I’ve known to be true for at least the last year. She and her Mom both loved my solos, but the thing that she noticed most was that she was able to hear me all of the time. She said, “It’s not that you were louder than the rest of the ensemble or overbalancing, it was simply that your sound was very clear and I could hear you through everything elseâ€. Wow! It’s really starting to take hold in my everyday playing!

After the concert there were two women that we talking with our Director that I had never seen before. As I walked by, one of them said, “You’re the trumpet player. I could listen to your sound all day!†One of the new players in the section said my solo in Victory at Sea was very special (and this after a ton of playing leading up to it). Lyrical playing has always been something that I do well, but this outing was easily up there as a concert to remember.

I just had to share this!

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    I'm glad it went well, Derek! It's always such a relief to have the concert over and to know that you're playing was everything you wanted it to be. Victory at Sea is a favorite of mine. 'The Pines', as I remember it, is a very tough piece.

My bands Christmas concert was this last weekend. The tough piece there was Holzts' 'Suit in Eb for Marching Band'. I had the first trumpet part---which puts me on lead all the way through the third movement. I haven't done something like that in a long time!

4. Derek Reaban

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    W Scott,

Thanks for your message. Victory at Sea was really enjoyable (I remember doing the quintet version many years ago at a recital which was a special performance for me). I can still hear the sound of the other trumpet player in the way that he interpreted the solo part. His name was Ken Snapp and he was a fine player (50 years my senior). He died one week before the recital, and my instructor sat in to cover his book. I described the way that Ken had interpreted the solo in Victory at Sea, and he played it wonderfully (with a little linger on the last grace note). He gave me a knowing wink after he finished playing (Ken would have approved!).

I'm glad that your concert went well (I really enjoy the Holst).

Take care,