temporary fix for loose brace?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by abtrumpet, Oct 21, 2012.

1. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Hi,

So I have a stage 1 california light, and the brace from the bell to the valve area is loose. It is the only brace connecting it so it wobbles when I pick it up. This happened a couple months ago and I had it fixed but I guess it wasn't done right. I'm not sure when I can get down to a proper repair shop to get it done correctly. So my question is - is there a temporary fix for this problem?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Edit: Just realized it's also loose where the bell connects to the first valve, so I guess I'm going to have to get it at asap. And for the record this just happened - I didn't mistreat my horn or anything. Did nytc shut down? The website isn't coming up for me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, it is time for a trip to the shop. Easy repair, but you want someone who knows what they are doing. Braces affect the sound - anything sound different?

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Firstly, is the brace broken? Or has it just come unsoldered from either the bell or the valve casing. If it is broken, it probably needs replacing. Soft solders don't work as a fix here. If the bell is loose in the ferrule from the first valve casing the bell needs taking off and all solder surfaces need to be scraped perfectly clean before the bell cam be remounted.

By the way, if you have no front or rear lead pipe to bell braces, you will have repeats of this problem unless the instrument is handled with utmost care - especially when inserting mutes, putting it on a stand, or putting it in a case.