Tennis, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Suggested reading: "The Inner Game of Tennis" by W. Timothy Gallwey.

Even though the title implies this is about tennis, it's actually a book on the mental side of peak performance. Substitute the word trumpet instead of tennis and it would be just as appropriate.
    This book deals with aspects of you being two people, the ego side, and the one who actually does the performance.
    There are many illustrations on how your ego will interfere with performance and simple tactics on how to deal with this issue.

It's a great book and it applies to most all facets of life, and offers excellent techniques on how to deal with many issues that we trumpet players struggle with on a daily basis.

Read just a few pages and I'm sure you'll agree with my opinion!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    used the ideas with sportsmen over a long period of time and for some it works really well, you need to be quite open and honest with yourself to get the best from it tho.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    There is also the Inner Game of Music, which is written by Galway and a musician, and it is excellent.

Check out Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. It is a music book along the same lines as The Inner Game, and extremely insightful.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks for the tip on these!

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I'm going to check out these. The mental side of trumpet could be the key to a meaningful improvement and a leap foreward in appreciating this great hobby. But I hesitate to call it a hobby, that implies that we take it lightly.

6. BRSpringer

BRSpringer New Friend

May 26, 2009
    Inner Game of Tennis was one of the books Bill Adam wanted us to read, along with Psycho-Cybernetics, Zen and The Art of Archery, and As A Man Thinketh, among others.

Barry Springer

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would add Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig. It is a quality book about quality.