Tense Body Especially the Shoulders When Marching...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Nov 7, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    So I've been in marching band for several months right now, and it's an awesome experience for me. I really enjoy it, and I hope I could do it again next year. :)
    (I'm thinking about posting a Youtube link of our show)

Anyways, I've been having this problem lately, that during the middle of our show, my upper body starts to tenses up and I start to feel pain in my shoulders. I get pretty tired because of that. Perhaps the problem comes from trying to bring my bell up, I don't know.

So year, it'd be really great if someone could help me with this problem.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Over inhalation causes complete body tenseness my pulmonologist tells me. The showmanship in marching while playing and concurrently holding your trumpet parallel to the ground is a physical strain with extended duration. You need an upper body exercise regimen. I suggest the Australian crawl swimming technique combined with equal backstroke and put some reach-out effort in these as if competing.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you are wearing a heavy wool uniform that is heavy in its own right. In the rain or snow they get heavier, and it is real tempting to support the trumpet by resting our elbows against our body. This automatically brings more tension into play.