Terminal N+1 vrus....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachfella, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    When I feed the fever (I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cornet...), I try to do it near a gift-buying occasion, like my birthday. Then I tell the wife not to worry about getting me a present - the horn I just bought can be it. She goes along with it, but of course, expects a gift of similar value on the next gift-giving occasion. That usually involves a trip to the jewelry store, so I'm careful with my horn purchases. Of course, if I sell one...(N+1)-1 = N...then there's no foul. I'm trying to sell my Conn 5A before Christmas so the full cost of the 9A I just bought won't count...:D

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    n plus 1 gets even scarier when you start drifting over to other instruments. Since last May I have somehow acquired 4 mandolins. how and why I still can't figure out.

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Got a secret desire to start a bluegrass band??:cool:

4. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Not really. i sort of got it to learn tunes. Mostly folk and early American tunes. I've actually been playing Arban and Clarke studies on it to work my way around since I still can't figure out how to blow into it!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    While there is no known cure for the terminal N+1 Virus, it can be mutated into the benign VB+1 Virus by sending the purchases to me!

6. bachfella

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Question for gmonady, since he's a doctor--isn't N+1 virus also known as Gotta Getta Horn Syndrome, or in some of the older medical journals, Brassus Acquirus Terminalis?? I'm NOT a doctor, but I do know a few--they haven't been able to answer this question, though, because they're NOT trumpet players....

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    and those ain't cheap either ...
    whatcha got whatcha got Mister?

8. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Right now I have two bowl back mandolins circa 1950 and late 1960. I have a The Loar LM 300 with a mike installed and an Eastman F615. I'm wondering what a better one sounds and plays like.

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Actually it's more worriesome than that (please forgive the gallows humour) Aquiring Instuments Directly Syndrome. Work it out.

10. bachfella

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    It could just be Horns of Increasing Variety....