terribly dry lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Mar 19, 2007.

1. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    i am currently on a medication that drys my lips and mouth area severely. i was wondering if any of you TMers know of any good lotions/lip balms that are REALLY EFFECTIVE. i have a tube of chop saver but it doesnt seem to penetrate my lips and hydrate them. any magic products out there? or any tips of any sort?

-thanks in advance

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The first thing that comes to mind is drinking enough. If your medication drys your lips out, other parts of your body are also suffering - even if they do not complain as loudly!
    If you are getting "enough" liquids, chop saver should be able to handle the rest.

3. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Chop Saver. Fabulous product.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I use Chopsaver most of the time, but have had to search out something else when I am taking allergy/sinus medicine that drys out my skin. At WALMART, in the vitamin section by the vitamin E, they sell Vitamin E sticks for your lips. This is the only thing I have found to remedy severely dry skin on my lips due to sinus medicine. It works right away too. (and at $.99 a stick, you can't go wrong)

5. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    i drink about 100 oz of water everyday for cross country so i dont know if thats quite the problem. im on a heavy duty acne medication so its intended to dry me out. ill have to try the vitamin E stick though. thanks for the input.

6. ABCgirl

ABCgirl Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    I have bad problems with dry lips, too. I was never able to find a chapstick that worked well enough! Then my uncle, a Marine band trumpeter, told me to try straight Vitamin E oil. I found it in little capsules, meant to be swallowed. If you poke the end of a capsule with a pin, you have a manageable "dispenser". Saturate your lips in it at least once or twice a day, maybe more with the severity you're describing, and whenever your lips feel dry. If you use it regularly enough, your lips will feel great!

Another factor that might be contributing: do you lick your lips a lot? Since it's necessary when playing trumpet, I find I sometimes pick up a habit of licking my lips when I'm NOT playing! Not good. The natural oils are stripped right off.

I HATED having dry, cracking lips. Hope you get past it soon!

--Kat

7. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Maynard gave me some stuff called Egyptian Magic while I was on tour with him. It's 100% natural, and made from olive oil, bees wax, honey bee pollen, royal jelly, bee propolis and love... at least that's what the container says.

Drinking tons of water that's got a good ph balance is important too... nothing too acidic.

Good luck -

K

8. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    DCT is good for moisturizing your lips. Unlike chopsaver (which I use most of the time) and other lip balms, it's not meant to sit on top of your lips. It gets absorbed into your chops. Not very protective, but it should help your dryness problem. It's really great stuff.

9. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    i dont know... i think DCT was the one that slowly dissolved lip skin over time, and was constantly making them peel...