terribly dry lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Mar 19, 2007.

1. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    is it accutane? I was on that mess for awhile... destroyed my chops - i was always cracking/chapping/bleeding. i eventually resorted to two things... drinking about 20 oz of water per hour i was awake and using vitamin A&D diaper rash cream on my chops... haha sounds weird, but those two things combine with carmex are a real life saver. Also at night, put regular plain petroleum jelly on there... it always moisturizes my chops better than anything.

good luck!

2. SpitKey

SpitKey New Friend

Dec 3, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I also have a dry chops problem due to the heavy duty meds I'm on, (and living in Phoenix, Arizona probably doesn't help either). One thing that helps me is Oasis mouthwash. It's a mouthwash made for people who have a dry lip problem, and does not contain any alcohol as most mouthwashes do.

3. Luis M. Araya

Luis M. Araya Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    I read in a recently ITG journal that Vaughn Nark uses Aloe Vera for his lips when damage. I prescribed!! that to a student who was having problems and it worked better than anything else he had tried before, (and he tried almost everything). Natural medicine is very good, tried.

LMA

P.D. I don't know if you can get the plant easily in US as in my country though.

4. tennis_the_menace

tennis_the_menace Pianissimo User

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    Interesting.......maybe you are on the same acne medication as me...

Go into bath and body works and find this bees lip balm it's not burt's bees it's something else that I can't remember the name of right now, and I can't find me lip balm.....:-( It works pretty good for me.

Maybe I will try the vitamin E thing....

5. daveythewavey19

daveythewavey19 New Friend

Jan 31, 2007
    I use vaseline and just gob it on, looks ridiculous with my lips all shiny but makes them feel so much better.

6. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I've never had that problem. The people I know that use it love it. It's really popular with DCI kids in the summer months when their lips are really taking a beating in the heat. It was my best friend when I marched, it really helped me to recover after a rehearsal/show and be ready to go for the next morning.

7. DGrimaldi

DGrimaldi New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    I also took some medication that dried out my lips and the thing I found that worked the best was baby cream. I applied it before I played, it kept my lips moist but not greasy.

8. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    yeah, im sure it works for other people. everyone has their own brand, and they swear by it... but dct caused problems for me, ergo i dont use it. And i dont know what you were saying about dct being the only lipbalm that actually gets absorbed into the lips while all the other stay on top and prevent from "the elements"... I could be wrong, but I dont think they can accomplish what they're meant to do if they only sat on top

update: i put chopsaver on a little bit ago, made sure not to constantly keep smearing it around, and i feel its not there anymore, but my lips DO feel refreshed...hmm

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  9. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    yeah im on accutane...great on the zits, terrible on my lips!

10. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I did not say that DCT is the only lip balm to get absorbed in your lips. Read my post again; You'll find that you are mistaken. What I meant was that DCT is meant more to refresh and moisturize your lips. While Chopsaver does both, DCT puts more moisture into my lips than chopsaver does. That being said, I'm not going to argue with the fact that chopsaver is the better choice for cold weather. But since the title of this thread is "terribly dry lips", I figured I'd offer what's worked best for me in that department.