Terrorists can get a free ride in Detroit

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Solar Bell, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Just when you think our judges can't get any dumber...
    Detroit comes to the rescue!

www.clickondetroit.com/news/5974305/detail.html

It's worse, according to the TV news he was carrying 2 knives, one ten inch and one 5 inch.

...and if my religion requires human sacrifice???

Next weeks headline
    Sikh student slashes friend to death.

-cw-

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Chuck,

This is just shy of shocking to me....

I started out in 1987 as a police cadet for the city of Taylor. Unless Michigan has changed it's laws it is unlawful to posess or conceal a knife with a blade that exceeds 4 inches.

What the ****? is this about?

I shouldn't be shocked, I've been dealing with our crappy judges for the last five years only I deal with them in family court where things are in my opinion even worse.

Geeez, a 10 inch knife. You know it's only big enough to pierce any vital organ or behead someone with. Naw, it's no threat!

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Would it be completely out of line to say that it might be just a little irresponsible to call this guy a terrorist? Sure, the guy carrying around a 10 inch knife probably shouldn't get a free ride on carrying whatever weapon his religion requires him to have with him, but at the same time, what warrant do you have for calling him a terrorist?

In my opinion, the word is thrown around too much. Would you be so quick to label him a terrorist if he claimed that he was apart of a distant sect of Christianity that required him to carry around a small sword? You might call him nuts, but my guess is that you wouldn't call him a terrorist.

That having been said, it seems that the judge in this case completely undermined both the law and the police who are charged with enforcing this law. Will they have to wait until someone actually commits a crime before they arrest someone carring a dangerous weapon?

-Jimi

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    jmichiel wrote:
    The comment means that idiot judges reside in Detroit.
    I'm not calling the guy a terrorist, I AM appalled that the judge would allow anyone to carry such a weapon, because it is a weapon, when the law clearly makes it illeagal to carry such a thing.

The story here is not about the knife carrying student, but the moronic judge.
    They expell 2nd grade students that bring something like this for "show & tell" and the judge says it's OK in this instance.

-cw-

5. prof5

prof5 New Friend

Mar 4, 2005
    Are there any limits to what you can redefine in the name of religion?

What if my religion requires me to carry a loaded 9mm?

Garry

6. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    If your religion requires you to carry a loaded 9, you may want to find a religion that requires a .45 :D

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN

Well so far the Mormons have not been allowed to practice polygamy.
    I thought I heard something about pot use in religious ceremonies is not allowable

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Hmmmmm........ so with this case setting the standard, can he also carry it on an airplane if there is no reason to assume he is carrying it for an unlawful purpose?

9. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    By that judge's standard, you may carry a firearm then as long as you do not have an unlawful intent. Going a bit further, as long as there is no "unlawful intent" one can do just about anything he/she wants.

I will refrain from describing the judge in a manner in which I normally would, however the judge is without a doubt a complete buffoon.

The judge failed to recognize that the knife law in question is a neutrally applied standard not designed to discriminate against any particular ethnic group, religious belief, or other factor which could deem someone to be of protected class.

10. trombapaul

trombapaul Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Ain't it a great town, Chuck? How is the general public, or law enforcement for
    that matter, supposed to determine "unlawful intent"? The judge in question
    also equated the carrying of a kirpan with wearing a Star of David. I haven't
    seen too many news articles about people being stabbed or cut with a Star
    of David or a Crucifix. :?: Also, apparently the student CHOSE not to wear it
    during football practices. Seems a bit hypocritical since, according to Skihism,
    he is REQUIRED to wear the kirpan AT ALL TIMES to fight off evil spirits. ALSO
    (yes folks...there's more), not only is he allowed to carry a 10" blade, he also
    carries a 5" version in case the 10" is lost in battle. Also a requirement set by
    the tenets of the religion.

I pray most judges aren't simply nuts like the clown in question here!

Paul