Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you don't want to see the possibility of these results, then you will not. If you have been reading some of the posts, this may be an indication of horns that produce a pure tone, or a measure of darkness. An astute observer will take this idea (we scientists call a hypothesis) into the lab, and several people have also given examples of interesting equipment to measure this.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Oh my, Just to make sure everybody understands:
    1. This is not science or even close to science. It's simply collecting information on a discoverry that may or may not have substance. For those that don't know, science suggests the systematic investigation of something. This is not science. But, it could be if someone needs a topic for a dissertation and can satisfy the demands of validity and reliability. From a statistical perspective, a Pearson correlation (since it would be interval or possibly ratio data) would be interesting and easy way to check out the relationship between the usual setting for in-tune and what did the test result in. With that said, if someone wants to turn this into science, here's your possible statistical tool (I'll bill the doctoral student later once they graduate and pay off their student loans!).
    2. Just reporting the one's that appear to have a positive result is at least a place to start.
    3. tj, I wasn't in reference to your horns. Sorry for the confusion. Some of the horns (including the Bach 43) listed came from different people not associated with this site. Again, sorry for the confusion. Also, if I missed a horn or two from this site, please feel free to let me know and I'll add them.
    Hope this helps clear things up for those with a scientific slant to their thinking. There's nothing systematic about this. It's the internet, a silly discovery and a site devoted to trumpet.
    Dr.Mark
    Dr.Mark

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh -- sorry Dr. Mark -- you must forgive me for my "scientific" citations about hypothesis, and experimentation ---- I was just supporting the thread --- and keep in mind that my "TRUMPET PLAYING HERO GM(gmonady) posted the following in post #6 -- and of course, the very mention of GM automatically skews my viewpoint such that I start to THINK AND ACT LIKE HIM, and there went my mind -- going on a tangent and all scientific like!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

"This REALLY works! I would LOVE to use this thread to collect the data, and summarize the results on a Table. Dr. Mark, has got to then take this to the lab and measure the frequency response of the slide position to demonstrate this effect. Then I recommend publishing this. Any one out there looking for a PhD thesis in trumpet or physics? --gmonady(GM) post #6

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    That's okay KT, individuals have brought up a good point and I just needed to make sure that people understand that this isn't science or that it takes on a scientific slant. There are very knowledged people on this site and I think a person would need to be a fool to try and say something is science when it patently isn't. It's just an interesting phenomenon for people to try out. So far, it's worked for some brands of horns and for some it hasn't.
    Dr.Mark

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    [h=2]Definition of SCIENCE[/h]1: the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding

2a : a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study <the science of theology>
    b : something (as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge <have it down to a science>

3a : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method

b : such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena : natural science

4: a system or method reconciling practical ends with scientific laws <cooking is both a science and an art>

Clarification: No it's not a science yet, but it could be. I stand by my post. We have an observation, yet explained. If we try to explain it, we can make it into a state of knowing, or science. Again, if someone tests the reason behind making this observation, then we may have something that my eventually be applied to practical value, and then again, we may not once it has been studied. But at this point, I agree... no this is not a science, but a cool observation.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Yes, a cool observation. It can be science if someone wants to follow the scientific method but I like just plain old cool observation.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, I thought it was pretty cool also, and just interesting to try, and see (for me) that it works (well on the 2 horns that I used) --- so me having at least 9 trumpets, I also was biased in selecting the ones that I have, that I automatically concluded are my "daily players" -- those trumpets give me the best sound (of course that's a combination of me, mpc, and horn) but relatively speaking ---- that is my best sound!!!! have a great day everyone, play and be happy!!

8. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    for gmanady

Issac Asimov -- not quoted - one person's science is another's magic.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Issac Asimov -- quoted:

"There once was a man from Nantucket..." [Yep that was his... in his book of limericks... he also did more than science]

10. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    asimov combined science with imagination and thought. The point being that the tuning issue is not only science regardless if you are playing in Nantucket