Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    asimov didn't corner the market on this point... all science starts with imagination and then we as scientists tale imagination and run with it... for those that don't appreciate it as such, but observe the results... it's magic.

2. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I suppose that explains why a killing bone among the Australian aborigines is effective. Point and shoot. You don't really need a firearm -- just belief.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think you just proved my point! Thanks!

4. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I am not sure it proves anything but the power of "culture" over western reason. But we are off topic. I apologize for going off the highway.

Back on track - i found the tuning technique interesting - my execution had no "scientific" vigor but resulted in tuning that was within expectations.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Doesn't pass the "science" test. Asimov was born in 1920 and the poem/limerick first appeared in 1902.

It's on Wikipedia so it has to be true!!! ROFL

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    kingtrumpet likes this.
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    He published a compilation of limericks, so you may be right, he may have borrowed this. But run a Google search on asimov with books of limericks, and I will bet you will find it listed. If you buy it, it will make you blush, and that too is not science, but is emotion.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Sounds like operator error to me....... that is unless you can quantify your results...... just sayin...

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Equally if you want to see a particular result you may well see it. We are dealing with two disciplines here ... the physics/design/building/playing of trumpets and human psychology. It appears that both are that are works in progress. I reckon both are at play here.

There are heaps of examples of highly credentialed yet ultimately discredited scientists who made experimental or study data support their pet theories.

....just saying...

tj

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Geez, I just edited a WIKI entry (hadn't seen the bad part). Just went in and deleted it! Is that the ultimate "Fixed Ya" or what!!!??? :stars::stars::stars::stars:

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I sent Dr. Mark an email the other night to tell him this worked on my primary horn,(Kanstul) then last night I pulled out my two back up horns to do the semi yearly valve oiling and tried it on those and it worked on both of them ( Getzen Eterna Doc model and Holton MF horn, both are 30 to 40 years old). So it’s 3 for 3 for me. I use my fingernail on the bell to get the tone and not the violin bow technique, as I am fresh out of bows (needed kindling for my last campfire). Also I sent Doc’s instruction to an instrument repair friend of mine to see if he can figure out why this works, as he is really good with this stuff …..I’ll report any findings I get from him.