Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The pathway to sciences and invention begins with imagination/belief as does the skills required to attain such. So too does music and our accomplishment on this brass "thingy" in our hands. Otherwise, the "bell ringer" analysis is dependent on the variations of the crafts persons' hammering of the bell flare and I'm sure the same crafts person does not do this exactly the same way in sequence one instrument to another. Too, the other processes of finishing an instrument are laden with such variables. Additionally, consider the tech's restoration of bell damage of which we may no nothing about its effect on bell resonance or even if such exists especially among the pre-owned vintage "eye candy". Thereby, my opinion of such efforts is a nonsensical waste of time ... just as is this response of mine is for me, as may also be for you to read.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Remember folks,
    It's a silly little discovery that may or may not have merit. I discovered it goofing off with my horn while doing some leadpipe work. Please, if possible, try the idea out before casting an opinion. If you can, take the idea around the block and kick the tires. That way you've tried it and are now armed with a result(s).
    Finding nothing is just as important as finding something.
    Once again, thanks so much for entertaining this topic and I look forward to more.
    Dr.Mark

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And my day gig career is built around weeding these scientists out: American Academy of Pediatrics, AAP GrandRounds Editorial Board; Associate Editor, American College of Physicians Journal Club; Lead Author, Cochrane Collaborative, Insulin and Oral Agents in the Management of Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes; Association of American Medical Colleges, Team-based Learning Module Reviewer for Biochemistry and Evidence-based Medicine; United Health Care, Guideline writer for Nurse line advice for Internal Medicine and Pediatrics.

It is my job to find these scientists and call them out on their bias.

We are NO WHERE NEAR that stage with this idea, as this first needs to be tested if we want to call this a science, so the credibility of these results are yet proven and the application is yet found, but to someone out there that is working on an advanced Music Degree, and needs prelim material or research ideas, this is one that would cut the muster in front of a research committee.. which I have experience in sitting on... I would accept such a study towards an advanced degree if it came up at my University ... just saying...

tj... You are way putting the cart before the horse. Read also what Dr. Mark is saying about his idea. It is just that, an idea, but speaking as a scientist, neat things come out for many from a simple observed idea... like watching an apple fall from a tree.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    And discovering cider?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well, maybe if Newton's wife was sitting next to him, then he could say if fell down be-cider.

He was also the person inventing the abbreviation for "figure" - you know, the fig-Newton.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Gary, I think I'm in violent agreement with Dr.Mark - especially the "silly" part. :-)
    It's fun and interesting to try and I may well continue to try this experiment with horns that come into my possession. Wondering if you took the bow to the Harrelson horns that you got to try recently?? I'd love to hear the thoughts of Jason H or some of the other new breed of makers/modifiers on this topic.

Totally OT, but magic to me is four days into a new job where I have a longer commute and more up and personal workout time with my hose trumpet, I pick up my Olds Super and it plays just a little, but noticeably, more Super... magic.

tj

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know, I didn't get that chance as I had very little lip time with these horns. I was in competition with 4 other trumpet players to play on these horns, and since I played on the Summit a couple weeks ago with a prior meeting at James Knabe's studio, I let the other players experience the Harrelson difference. One I talk to Jason at the time I place my order (as boy do I have questions for him), I will ask about the bowing bell theory.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

The further away your job, the better player you'll be!!! ;-)

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi tj,
    You stated:
    "I'd love to hear the thoughts of Jason H or some of the other new breed of makers/modifiers on this topic".
    ---------------------
    We'll love their opinions even more if they try the test and report what they find. Supposedly, there's math to describe why it shouldn't work but skilled people are continuing to find that it appears to work.
    I only know what I hear and, when I match up the two sounds, divide the tuning slide distance in half, put the slide back in at the half way point, it's back where it usually is.
    The idea of getting the horn to it's best efficient playing position (if in fact that's what this method does for some brands), might suggest that first the trumpet is tuned to itself then, with slight adjustments to the tuning slide to account for temperature, adjust one's self to the ensemble. This would be contrary to the traditional way of tuning. That's different and it's hard for many to step outside their comfort zone and try something different, but you tried the test and, it didn't appear to work on your brand of trumpets. That's brave and hard to argue with. Bravo tj..
    Dr.Mark

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Even if your job's just "yards" away?