Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps the "science" (???) may work more precisely on raw brass instruments, but then I'm thinking if so, it should also work like a piano as when struck with the head of a key note on the tuned string. Otherwise, you wouldn't need a violin bow whereas I'd use a rosined edge of a light piece of balsa wood. Really, I've seen a country fiddler playing using a piece of rosined wood (what kind unknwn to me) in lieu of a horsehair strung violin bow (Disclaimer: Such was not my Grandfather who also played a country fiddle). I still stick to my variable theory.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I used tapping on the rim of the bell and listening for the resonant sound inside the bell, rather than the sound of the bell ringing.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and Dr. Mark -- check this FACT out -- you have been on TM for OVER 2 years --- this is the very FIRST THREAD YOU EVER CREATED ---- and now we have over 122 posts --- so look at all the Passion that you wrung out of this crowd on TM!!! --- with supporters and detractors -- we have opinions. ((not that you follow NASCAR - but this reminds me of the late Dale Earnhardt, Sr. who passed away some years ago in an accident at Daytona, I remember once 5-7 years prior to this Dale got BOOED big time after winning a race -- you know with a BIG SMILE the "Intimidator" as he was lovingly called by fans and foes -- gave a really great reply something akin to --"hey they are race fans, and whether they are applauding or BOOING, they are making NOISE, and that's a great thing"

so Dr. Mark - the TM'ers are making NOISE, you incited or extracted PASSION out of them --- and that is a good thing!!!!!

ps. you might remember a year or so ago, I PM'ed you, and encouraged you to post a thread or two!! as I knew the result would be great!! (of course you might have just "forgotten about me" --- which would then have relegated you into less than 1% of the population -- out of everyone who meets me, most TRY to forget about me, only 1% ever succeed in getting me out of their mind!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi KT,
    You stated;
    "Dr. Mark - the TM'ers are making NOISE, you incited or extracted PASSION out of them --- and that is a good thing!!!!!"
    ---------------------------
    I kinda figured that there would be a response but not quite the big noise that has appeared here. I'm amazed. My hope is that people continue to check this idea out and find what brands of trumpet lend themselves to this type of tuning. It appears that some brands do/some do not. Also possibly a youtube to give a visual of how the method works would help people do it correctly but for me to do it would cause the www to crash (When I was born, the doctor slapped my mother and even my dog thinks I'm ugly). And you're right, I'm sure that 1% or less can never forget KT. As for me, I won't even try.
    Dr.Mark

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You noticed a coincidence when you were fooling around and you decided that you'd start a firestorm?

How... helpful.

Tom

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    One thing about Kingtrumpet... he has crystal balls! Nice predicting lion boy!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I also predict your in the 99% that TRY, but can't get me out of your mind!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL "no matter how hard you try to forget ole KT, somewhere there I am in your gray matter, or in a bad dream, I know I'm there -- so sorry for you GM" --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    More like in the pit of my stomach... but when the gas passes, I some how feel better again.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    back on track GM (Good Methane) --- I hope to be able to check my other 7 or so trumpets this weekend, since I have nothing going on!!! -- although, admittedly they are all older than 1991 models.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VPW,
    I read your post #124 directed at me and it seemed mean.
    You stated on page 4:
    "I'm done with this. Be well with your delusions"
    I predicted you'd be back on page 5 and "POOF" there you are!
    Of all the people on this site, I get the honor to be your emotional tampon. Well, go ahead and be mean, I can't stop you. Once you're done with your internet version of a Primal Scream, go have a beer and relax knowing that in some weird Thorazine sort of way, I helped you.
    This post is about A Possible New Way To Tune a trumpet so I have to ask:
    "Did You Try It"
    Dr.Mark