Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Of course not because I don't have to try shooting myself in the head to realize that it's a stupid idea.

I actually went to school and learned things like physics and mathematics.

I don't know what your doctorate is in, but when I worked at UW-Milwaukee in the Engineering Electronics Shop, one of the first things I learned was that individuals with doctorate knew the least about their fields than technicians did.

You, sir, I don't know what your doctorate is in. But this is true: your nonsense is still nonsense.

Feel free to rag on me more, because I keep saying the emperor has no clothes. I still call your thesis nonsense.

Tom

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Hey VPW, So, Why is this is a stupid idea ? It works, and we're all trying to figure out why it works. The answer may mean nothing,
    but, it may help us understand a little more about our passion.... the trumpet. Such a self proclaimed educated person like you should
    have no problem defining "Stupid".....

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Anyways 3 more trumpets down on my list. A King 600 which was 1 5/8 inch (13/16 inch when halved) -- normally set at 15/16 inch -- still "slightly flat" on anything below middle C, but upper range in tune

2055T King Silver Flair (post UMI) -- this method was right on at 3/4 inch on the tuning slide, which is my normal setting

Holton Collegiate --- this method failed to tune the instrument -- setting was at slightly over 3/4 inch which was WAY FLAT, when tuned to a tuner -- the little Collegiate is set at 1/4 inch ---

so yes to a couple of Kings -- NO to a Collegiate

and tha is my report

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    duplicate post

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Saying "it works" is not exactly true, as it doesn't always work.

However....calling it "stupid" is immature.
    The moderator contacted me telling me how great debates on TM can yield great learnings.
    I'm still trying to figure out how "stupid" figures into the "great debate".

6. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Away back in the day when I lived in the City. An author on spiritualism I met in a bar stated that if I read his book, then sat in a dark room for an hour I would see my dead Father.
    Of course I didn't believe him. But who knows what would have happened if I did.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    With respect to you, I have to say it does work, in that it has a high percentage of repeatability as shown by the results thus far, although a small percentage of horns
    have something in their manufacturing process that lends them as not compatable with the test. This is the interesting part, why does it work and why do a small percent of horns fall into the
    " Does not work " mode..... my thoughts are lets all learn from this, personally I love learning something new....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  8. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Some magician figured out how to take a tube of metal. Bend it. And allow me to blow in one end, where a vibrating column of air exits with beautiful, sonorous, results. He figured out the proper length of this tube to make a tone, that when combined with other instruments, would be able to match a common pitch. Giving me the ability to modify that pitch with a combination of moveable slides. Did he know the exact pitch he was trying to achieve? Did he fix the length of pipe to force a particular pitch? No. He had the foresight to cause the instrument to be in tune by moving a main slide out about 1/2 (insert your normal tuning distance here) an inch. At this point, the horn works in a positive, constructive way to produce a perfect sound with great ease. I can imagine that magician of tubular dynamics looking at the components that make up that instrument and thinking that if each component were in natural harmony with the other, that there would be no conflict within, that each segment would be in balance, working towards the propogation of the perfect sound. If one section of the horn naturally vibrated at a different rate - wanted to "ring" with a different frequency - then as the sound moved through the horn, it would be fighting itself. Am I surprised that Dr. Mark, or anyone, stumbled upon this phenomenon? No, because it "feels" right to me. Do I think that this is how you should tune your horn? No. But, surprise surprise, what many are finding here is that both halves of their horns are in balance WHERE THEY NORMALLY tune their instruments when playing in an ensemble.

Just my 440 cents.

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Brass tubes can be cut in length to be musical, of that there is little doubt. We've a set of brass pipe wind chimes hanging in the eave of our front porch that prove this, but the question of whether blowing into such will be the same isn't conclusive. We all know a lot of discordant musical notes can emit from our brass instruments despite the "magic" of their design.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So what spirits were you drinking, and was his book of mixology a good one?:bravo: