Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    See this IS one great idea out of this "test"... I believe this is a result that horns where the test does not work may have a large array of overtones that "affect" the quality of the sound which would make them brighter or brassier. This is where further testing of the Dr. Mark idea, may become practical. If frequency's can be correlated to this "simple" test, then some one wanting a more pure tone instrument (less brighter, mellower, darker, pick your term) could go to a music store and "tune a bell" with the ping of a finger, find the tuning characteristic of the leadpipe and it meets perfect tune criteria for a less brighter horn. So the buyer goes up to the store keep and says, "I would be interested in trying this horn". A horn that would not pass this simple test, will be left in the display case.

In medicine this concept is done time and time again. If you have arthritis, we screen with ANA testing. If the test is negative, we move on as there is a 98% chance you do not have lupus causing your arthritis. Screening for a characteristic you desire (or don't desire) is an acceptable practice, so this is why I see merit to Dr. Mark's idea, and will go to the other end of the spectrum and call it a brilliant idea, just as there was an idea of brilliance in the persons that taught us physicians how to evaluate a patient for arthritis. Anyone with arthritis out there I bet could really appreciate this concept, because I cannot believe such an arthritic person would call their doctor stupid for practicing these same concepts.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But your 440 cents will produce overtones, and that is what this test gives you, your tone and others, with interest.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VPW,
    You stated:
    "I actually went to school and learned things like physics and mathematics and I worked at UW-Milwaukee in the Engineering Electronics Shop"
    ----------------------------------------------
    Now that's impressive. The school you mentioned is a fine school and it was (I'm sure) an honor to work there.
    Way to go!!
    Dr.Mark

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It's never Lupus pass the Vicoden (Sorry Love HOUSE M.D., Where an English Toff shows you how to play an American diagnostician)

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I think his musicianship is his strongest trait. That man lays it down on the keys...

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I read his book and did the hour-long dark room meditation, and lo, I saw someone. Don't know if he was your dead father or not, since I didn't know him. Pretty creepy though. Actually I think it may have been Miles.

On a related note, the bow I have I use to play the saw. When I tried this test the saw worked much better than the bow, but after repeated testing the bell fell off.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I saw right through that one veery.

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Farthest I ever got to experiencing the "other world" occurred when I was in the hospital for an operation. It was 3 in the morning, when all human vitality is at it's lowest ebb.
    The room was slightly dark and hazy. This figure of a bearded man in a coarse white linen garment appeared and approached the bed. I asked him, "Who are you?"
    "I am the Father", it replied.
    "So where are the Son and the Holy Ghost?" I queried.
    He looked a little sheepish and embarrassed, while he hesitatingly volunteered, "Uh, they're in Bridgeport".

Then he slowly faded away. I am not a religious man, but things like this make you wonder......

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Whenever you produce any sound, there are many other sounds albeit you may not be able to hear them all. Some may just be echo or feedback but there is no sudden ending to them.

I was once set up in an abandoned house and every time a vehicle passed or the wind blew, the creaks and creeps I heard gave me the shakes and tremors as only added to my discontent.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi all,
    The results page (page 9) where the trumpets that had positive results are now on page one. Also, the instructions have been streamlined for easier reading. So far, around 20 trumpets have shown positive results to the test!
    Please spread the word and have your trumpet playing friends to try it.
    Thanks
    Dr.Mark