Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr. Mark,

Add a 53 and 67 Olds Recordings to the list.
    Also add a 46 medium bore Martin Committee
    Also add a 1526 Kanstul Flugelhorn to the list... it tuned out at a 1/4 inch (total not half since it tunes directly into the first valve casing.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks gmonady!
    Its on the list.
    Dr.Mark

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi all,
    The instructions on how to tune a new way and the trumpets that have taken the test and it appears to work can be found on page one.
    So far, 26 trumpets appear to lend themselves to this type of tuning. If you can, try out the test for yourself. If you are not sure what to do or if the instructions are not clear (which is totally possible) just let me know and I'll help you.
    Dr.Mark

4. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    Tested it on the conn 40B but the ping on the bell is higher than the pitch with the tuning slide completly inserted.

grz.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Hey Dr. Mark, be sure to list the horns that do not work, or at least the total count. The percentage will be interesting to see, and may add to the information gathering.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Good point JNINWI, I'll add them up today.
    Dr.Mark

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi JNINWI,
    I've quickly discovered that gathering the data and trying to interpret what people have found to be a major league pain in the ***!!
    With that said, I've asked on of the moderators if they can put together a post where people can submit their own data.
    I think some of the confusion comes from the instructions itself and for that, I'll take the blame, my bad. What I've done is to streamline the instructions in hopes that people will find them easier to understand which hopefully will result in better reporting.
    Dr.Mark

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Well well Dr. Mark, welcome to my world ! I look at trends, statistics, process control charts, histograms, and Statistical process control numbers all day…..so now you know why I asked for a bit more : )
    Just don’t ask me to run an OC curve on this !! Thanks for all your hard work Mark, I’m sure this will pay off down the road !

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    At 5000+ euro I will start saving, no new horns for quite a while!

Regards, Stuart.