Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    HI VB,
    Something to kick around. Is it possible that you can put up a site where people can post their own results?
    Possibly something as simple as Bach Strad 37 ML (Y) or (N)
    I asked rowuk but by his own admission is as busy as a one legged man in a two legged race.
    If you can do this, it would make the process easier for the general population to see the results and give people even a greater ability to participate.

As for the BIAS,
    Now that's a great idea!! The BIAS could be used to compare human results to the machine results. I know very little about the device other than it cost + 5000 euro. However, what a great idea for someone to do their doctoral dissertation on.
    Thanks Dr.Mark

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    HI JNINWI
    Whew! All those statistics and all that data!! It's a good thing you have a love for the trumpet and beer.
    Just an idea. Become a Quant on Wall Street, make a bucket of loot in no time flat, quit that gig and then go on the road with Gordon Goodwin! Just do me a favor, put the good word in for me when you get the Phat Band gig!!
    Dr.Mark

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi all,
    I spoke with one of the mods and i have to agree that creating a method (poll) for data collection where people can simply push a button would result in people pushing the button just because they can. With that said, please continue to try the test and encourage others to try it. Wouldn't it be something to find out that the test appears to work.
    Dr.Mark

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So THAT's what shut TM down! The must have given you the "destruct" button by accident!

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

In tune with what? Itself is what I am guessing that you mean.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Brian,
    Once the half way distance is determined and the slide is put back in the horn like you normally would (stopping at the half way point) is the slide where it normally is?
    I discovered this while doing some lead pipe stuff and when the method resulted in my tuning slide ending up where it normally is, I started to wonder, is this just a fluke and specific to my horn or are there others out there. So far, many trumpets seem to lend themselves to this type of tuning. I've yet to find a Bach Strad 37 that won't tune to the correct spot using this method.
    Some of the questions this idea generates are:
    1. Does this method tune the trumpet to itself (it's most resonant position)?
    2. Is this the first example of tuning a brass instrument without a person buzzing?
    3. Are there two distinct parts of the trumpet, The bell side and the piping side.
    4. Is this a possible way to determine the spectral quality of a trumpet ( dark V. bright)
    5. If this works, how many people are playing with their tuning slides in the wrong position?
    6. Will this cause a paradigm shift in how we tune up?
    --------------
    If you take a look at page one of this post, you'll see the trumpets that have tried this method and it worked.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    1. Easy to test using the rosined bow with the tubing pulled various lengths.
    2. Yes, BIAS can be used for this. One can tune the horn plus mouthpiece--if the tuning position works for the player or not is a different matter.
    3. I don't think so. Playing a trumpet without the bell makes it sound like Maynard playing cornetto, but the normal valve fingerings do not create a usable scale.
    4. Pretty sure the answer is "nope."
    5. The players will play in tune, but not necessarily at the sweet spot.
    6. No. Tuning is a flesh and blood thing.

My opinion, anyway.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks VB,
    That's what we're looking at.
    Does this idea result in the lips being removed from the tuning process. We know the lips can bend a pitch at least half a step. So far over twenty trumpets seem to be able to tune their trumpet using this new method (idea) see page one. However, both methods need ears, and ears have flesh and blood. As usual, VB is correct. Tuning is a flesh and blood thing.
    Dr.Mark

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah as long as its related to the flesh and blood of a trumpet player.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Two people have reported that the horns that tune perfectly by slide length WHEN THEN played against a piano produce pure tones with no harmonic overtones [one was the '46 Martin Committee]. This is what individuals hear as "dark". Dark = Pure. White = Bright. Pretty sure the answer is "yep".