Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    C'mon "G", your a man of science. We know you love the Committee... ;-)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tj, what you have proven is what sound wave forms are received through air by a machine. What I am talking about he how we hear this as a pure tone. The way to prove this is to play these same horns to an individual hooked up to an evoked response EEG, then measure the brain waves processing the sound. I bet when doing this, you will have a more simple signal response by the listener "hearing" a pure tone horn than one the produces more obvious overtones. So your next task is to hook yourself up to an EEG and repeat the test. Good luck!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What I think is cool with your testing is how far out the Martin Committee frequencies are detected (to > 15,000 Hz). Could it by this high frequency response that "dampens" the human response to the other harmonic overtones that the other horns produce at lower frequency. I think this is a neat concept that you are bringing out from these measurements. That EEG experiment would be so cool to correlate to your findings. Unfortunately, until you do that next experiment, we need a few more pictures to go with many more words on this subject.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr. Mark, yes this is what I hear (and at least 5 other people I know) hear when playing the Martin Committee tuning note against a piano chord.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A man of MEDICAL science. There is a very different difference, as there is much integration in our brains as sound, that is vastly different then the sounds that reach are tympanic membrane. After this point, neurological response to hair cell vibrations in the cochlea take over. THAT is the perception response we "hear".

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    PS: I love my Olds Recording even more... It is my boss... Eddie Brookshire that "loves" my Committee... He prefers the "pure tone" sound of the horn to the "brassier" overtones heard with the Olds Recording... that he refers to as sounding like a "marching band horn".

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I'll throw this out there. Maybe it's the player (you), not the horn. :roll:

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    MENDEZ, YOU HEAR THAT!!! THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!!! [​IMG]

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Read Dr. Marks response. Also verified by Eddie Brookshire, Jack Novotny, Keigo Hirakawa, Fenton Sparks... If you try it yourself, Tobylou. Give this a try with your Committee, you will hear the response that I am referring to... it is not the player it is how humans perceive sound - From a man of medial science, this makes so much sense.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    They are... and I am just as pissed off as Mendez likely is, it infuriates me when Eddie says this [and when he has yet to pay me for the LAST 3 GIGs WE HAVE PLAYED!!]

Please note: I did state the Olds Recording IS my favorite horn... But maybe Mendez is soon to change THAT perception for me... Right ANA?